87 Shelby Charger,L67,T5, independent rear - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 Shelby Charger,L67,T5, independent rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Shelby Charger,L67,T5, independent rear

Here's a link, tell me what you think. http://www.mnfbody.com/showthread.php?t=21354
    78 Lesabre Turbo Coupe w/85 GN SFI turbo induction, 200-4R OD, 3.73 posi(pictured in Sep. 99 Hot Rod Power Tour Article 87 Shelby Charger (under construction)reardrive conversion, SC3800, T-5, Independent rear. Estimated weight 2400 lbs.

Re: 87 Shelby Charger,L67,T5, independent rear

looks interesting. but why in a dodge?

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

I had a yellow/black 79 Omni 024 in high school(same body style). Loved the looks, but now I'm confident enough to rectify that front wheel drive problem hehe.
      78 Lesabre Turbo Coupe w/85 GN SFI turbo induction, 200-4R OD, 3.73 posi(pictured in Sep. 99 Hot Rod Power Tour Article 87 Shelby Charger (under construction)reardrive conversion, SC3800, T-5, Independent rear. Estimated weight 2400 lbs.

Comment

I hope that T-5 is built?
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

the tranny is from a 97 3800 camaro, if it can handle the camaro which weigh 3,400 pounds? I think having it in a 2400 pound car will help.

Comment

why would the weight of the car determine transmission damage?

Comment

Enjoy 3rd gear while it lasts!
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by supercharged 024 View Post
                the tranny is from a 97 3800 camaro, if it can handle the camaro which weigh 3,400 pounds? I think having it in a 2400 pound car will help.
                The V6 Camaro actually weighs 3295lbs. and Firebird 3340lbs.

But isn't the '87 Shelby Charger already Turbo Charged I4? Why not just work on that platform and save weight and headache.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
                  The V6 Camaro actually weighs 3295lbs. and Firebird 3340lbs.

But isn't the '87 Shelby Charger already Turbo Charged I4? Why not just work on that platform and save weight and headache.
                  The 87 Charger is a turbo 2.2 liter. Its the same motor that is in my 86 Daytona, just his is the turbo 2 version which has the intercooler, better intakes, and roller cam. It makes 175hp stock. So to answer the question I dont know Why he would get rid of that motor?? The car only weighs 2400-2500lbs so it dont take alot of power to get it fast!!

The t5 is a weak tranny. I dont think it could hold the power of the GTP motor. I broke one with my stock motor and one with my built motor.
                  Jeff ..
                  1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                  2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                  1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                  http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Originally posted by mellowout View Post
                    why would the weight of the car determine transmission damage?
                    The L67 will determine the tranny damage..
                    Jeff ..

Comment

Ok, first off it is no longer front wheel drive. It only had the Turbo I(140hp). Like I said, love the bodystyle but that front wheel drive sh// had to go. Weight does make a difference in how much the tranny can handle. The less it has to move under acceleration, the easier it is on the load force placed on the gears. Ask any race shop the same question and they will tell you, the less you're trying to move- the easier it is on the parts.

Comment

Also, it will have some changes to the body, I will eventually get it repainted to look like this. Which includes changing some of the body panels, tail lenses, hood and fender scoops so it has all the Charger 2.2 body accessories. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...mZ290213745745

Comment

Ok, first off it is no longer front wheel drive. It only had the Turbo I(140hp). Like I said, love the bodystyle but that front wheel drive sh// had to go. Weight does make a difference in how much the tranny can handle. The less it has to move under acceleration, the easier it is on the load force placed on the gears. Ask any race shop the same question and they will tell you, the less you're trying to move- the easier it is on the parts.
                          The weight of the car has nothing to do with the tranny. It's basically the power of the engine that goes through the tranny that will destroy it.

I have a Fiero GT with 3 speed. The weight of the car is about 2570lbs or lesser. It moves fast for a car that's only 140hp and 170tq, but if I were to drop a 3.4 or a 3.8 non-GTP I have to get the other version of the Fiero's tranny which is 4 speed auto or the suzuki 5 speed manual. The 3 speed according to Pennock Fiero Forum gets destroyed by the Fiero's 2.8 engines if the power is more than 180hp.

We have a couple of Turbo guys here who have gone auto from a T5 (auto, same tranny as the Corvette) because the T5 can't hold the power. And these guys have stripped their cars to a shell too in order to run better times.

Now don't get piss at us we're just here to help you out, but it is your car and it is your choice. Good Luck man.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

The lighter weight will help the tranny but if he is putting much beyond stock power it will die.

Comment

Do you still have any of the turbo 1 parts left over?? I need a intake manifold..
                              Jeff ..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X