Oh Crap, What have I done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Crap, What have I done?

Okay, I reckon I just got another project.... (wife can't kill me - she found it online and showed it to me)
    its a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker, freakishly original, with (supposedly) 33000 miles on it... Gas tank is rotted - but have a new one coming, + sender unit.
    It runs, it's pretty straight and solid.
    This might be a long story.... lol

sounds awesome! What about finding replacement parts for her though?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Replacement parts might be an adventure in itself :) But as I said I managed to find a brand new gas tank and sender unit.
      Don't have any idea if the fuel pump is ok, will probably rig up something temporary to test it - I 'think' I can get another, but would probably go the electric pump route if not. As the fuel tank was so bad, I'm thinking of bypassing all the fuel lines and just running gas grade rubber hosing from the new tank to the pump and checking/cleaning the original lines once it's back on the road...
      The original filler tube was lost and impossible to find, but I should be able to adapt a used part to do the job, I hope.

Comment

heck, I just checked RockAuto and found I can get a new fuel pump for around $20. RockAuto is awesome! :) I have usually found everything I need there. That's where I got the Firebird dash cover, too.
        I have 3 vehicles on the road and the old truck has 390,000 miles on it, so finding good parts at a good price is a big thing (GMC 1500 '93, daily driver)
        The only reason I didn't get my replacement 1/4 panel speakers for the bird from them is that Walmart (yes that wallyworld) had free shipping on them for close to the same price.

Comment

Ya they have some pretty good deals. The 5% off usually makes a nice dent in shipping costs to this side of the border too!

Comment

I drove a 1996 new yorker once. They're very comfortable with good power. That's a nice find though with only 33k. That means that thing was parked most of the time.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Driver side.jpg
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1577452 pics...Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Front.jpg
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1577448 Click image for larger version

Name:	NY interior.jpg
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1577451 Click image for larger version

Name:	NY engine.jpg
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	1577450
              It was in Hawaii, don't know how it ended up in Texas. But here's a couple of pics
              Attached Files

Comment

The interior makes me think the mileage might just be right...

Comment

Wow, that's in great shape for a project. Very nice.

Comment

Well, got the tank in and got her started up - no smoke or any big issues. Small issue with idling, but I'll tear the carb down and clean it out.
                    So far I've managed to find all the parts I have needed, some not so cheap, some not so bad...

Comment

The interior is clean. The engine bay needs a good cleaning up. Hey as long as it isn't a flood car I think you have a pretty solid project going on there. Interested to see how she comes out!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        7 hours ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X