Ball joint woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball joint woes

I fought with my truck all day long to get my upper ball joint to line up. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what was causing the lower control arm to not want to compress high enough... well turns out I learned the torsion bars needed to be backed off lol. What a pain in the ***...

Then to boot it didn’t look like the ball joint was sitting properly until I pulled the boot down. But she torqued in fine...

Click image for larger version

Name:	18BBF892-1974-44BB-9A8B-46229CCC3667.jpeg
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1576739

Name:	C32264FB-9AC2-4D39-BDD8-F90DC16AE6C9.jpeg
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1576740

Name:	A160386F-1628-472B-8772-1C4336BA7FB5.jpeg
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1576741

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Yeah always something, looks good.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So just as I finished up installing new ball joints and shocks- I discover my frame is cracked right through on both sides on the GM weld.

Unbelievable odds. Looks like a defect from likely using too hot of a weld which thinned out the metal. Then with a bit of rust, boom she went. I contacted GM and they won’t do diddly squat which annoys me even more.

There is some surface rust on the frame but it is nowhere near rotten to cause this. The rest of the frame is solid as can be

Name:	D8A54F54-155B-4D47-A318-AEA0D246E7E3.jpeg
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1576756

Comment

Well that sucks, figures GM wouldn’t do anything. What you gonna do?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What a mess. So I have been literally running around looking at vehicles in every ounce of my spare time and trying to strip some accessory parts off my old truck.

I bought a 2018 2.5L Colorado that I am supposed to pickup on Wednesday. I got it for a fair price with a bit of warranty, but only because it has about 56k on it. Which I am fine with because they would have mostly all been highway miles.

I am drafting up an email to GM as we speak with more photos of the crack. I want to push them to do something, because it really is a factory default in my opinion and it is lucky it didn't kill me or another family...

Comment

Nice. The Colorados are nice little trucks. And that's coming from someone who is decidedly NOT a truck guy.

What colour?

And good luck with GM. Who knows maybe you'll start a recall.

Comment

White! I’ll make another threat with some pics a little later today/tomorrow!

It’s been a total wreck the last number of days getting everything in order

Comment

So with a ton of running around the last few weeks, I am finally done trying to sell my truck as a whole and am parting it out. I have a guy who is going to buy the motor off of me and his mechanic is going to pull the motor. That saves me some time and space which will hopefully allow me to catch back up to my other projects I fell behind on before I need to part down the rest of the truck.

I won’t start a new thread for my new truck, I’ll just post my 2018 below. I had to run out and line-x the bed and did they ever do a killer job on it....

Attached Files

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Really sucks on the chassis cracks...
                    Usually when doing ball joints (yes, I have owned a few pieces of crap and have had to do one or two, lol) I raise the body up, put a block under the lower arm and lower the body down into place -- seems to usually line everything up without having to fight with the suspension too much.

Liking the new truck though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pax2001 View Post
                      Really sucks on the chassis cracks...
                      Usually when doing ball joints (yes, I have owned a few pieces of crap and have had to do one or two, lol) I raise the body up, put a block under the lower arm and lower the body down into place -- seems to usually line everything up without having to fight with the suspension too much.

Liking the new truck though.
                      Maybe I should have tried that - I had the jack under the control arm though. I think my biggest issue was that the tension was still on the torsion bar. Once I backed them off it was smooth as butter... lol, It's always the stupid tricks you don't think of though...

Comment

Been crazy busy with this truck lately- some progress pictures of chopping it up to part out... parts are in a storage unit...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Holy cow , that’s some serious parting out. Good job.

Comment

It actually wasn’t nearly as much work as I thought. Milwaukee “torch” sawzall bits made the cutting a total breeze. I am straight through the frame in 30-45 seconds. The blades are super strong too- a few times when the steel closed up I slipped out of my cut line and smashed the blade on the body and expected it to fold in half. Didn’t even bend... best $27 I’ve spent in awhile lol.

I have mostly everything pulled minus the front suspension. Once that is out I’ll make maybe 4 more cuts to chop up the remaining front frame and that’ll be it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to get another phone
                              by ssms5411
                              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                              1 week ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Leaking front cover
                              by ssms5411
                              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • transamtom1
                              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                              by transamtom1
                              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X