Few Pics of the 300ZX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Pics of the 300ZX

Just a couple quick and dirty shots that a friend took. Haven't done much other than drive it lately. Might be getting a spare parts car soon so I can replace a cracked exhaust manifold and upgrade the suspension. Also looking at trying out a small yet simple A2W intercooler setup in place of the Evo 8 intercooler that I have lying around. Let me know what you think.

'99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: Few Pics of the 300ZX

ohh LHD
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Looking good, I've had my 87 out lately and I forgot how much I love that thing. I hear intercooler setups on Z31s is a b*tch with the piping.

Comment

Did you just repainted that? It looks really good.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
          ohh LHD
          Most USDM cars are left hand drive... ;)

Originally posted by Savorybacon View Post
          Looking good, I've had my 87 out lately and I forgot how much I love that thing. I hear intercooler setups on Z31s is a b*tch with the piping.
          Thanks. I really do love driving this thing. Can't wait to see how it feels once I replace the cracked exhaust manifold and have the IC installed. From what I've seen, IC piping is a pita, but it looks like that won't be as bad with an A2W setup. If anything, the AC compressor's long gone, so I guess I'm one step ahead. Lol.

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
          Did you just repainted that? It looks really good.
          Thank you. It hasn't been repainted since I bought it. The hood and front bumper were repainted in the late 90s (hence the clear coat on the hood and discoloration on the front panel), but all the rest is original single stage paint. The side and back half of the car have started to oxidize a bit, but that will clean up with a good rubbing compound and machine polish. Although, it does look clean after a good wash. :D
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I agree with Thor , looks like the hood has been painted its so shinny. I would def. put a front mount intercooler on it, A2W might not be to good if your DD it , its looking good. Although the neighborhood looks like something out of the movies. Hahaha, LOL
            Last edited by ssms5411; 08-11-2010, 01:24 AM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

looks awesome!
              Robby
              2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
              sigpic

Comment

Those cars a great. Enjoy :)

Comment

Bit of an update:

Look what showed up on my door the other day. And here I thought it was backordered. These Z kids go crazy over this stuff. They seem to enjoy a full poly ride, which I think is a bit stiff. So I'm going for a good balance of poly and OEM rubber bushings.

Also found myself an ugly little donor car with quite a few goodies. Runs and can drive. Got it for $350. Bought it off some kid that thought it would be an easy fix and knew nothing of these cars. Previous owner wrecked it HARD... bent front subframe and ripped the control arm connection apart. Doors, front fenders, front bumper, T-tops, wheels, and interior are out of a newer model Z31 (kouki) and will sell for a good amount. Also has the newer kouki suspension, which will be going onto my car. Drivetrain will be going into a friend's 280Z, and the rest of the car will be parted out.

Where the donor car sits now (usually under cover).

'99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

OMG! looks soo nice! I love it! AWESOME
                    09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

That poly kit is def. worth the money, I put one on mine about 3 mos. after I got it. It is just a pain doing it all.

Comment

Well this is entertaining. I completely forgot I had posted this thread. I still have the Z, so let's see if I can get things up to speed with a brief overview.

2011: Passenger cam seal had developed small leak above timing belt. Waterpump seized in the fall and I decided to park it and focus on school.

2012: Didn't really do much. Full-time double major student working full-time kept me busy.

2013: Dropped down to part-time school since I had completed one degree & only had 6 hours left on the other. Finally had some time and inspiration to replace the water pump, timing belt, fluids, etc. Replaced crap tires with summer tires & bought spacers to push out wheels (to eliminate the "battleship" stance). Took it on a 2 hour drive to a regional Z car show less than 48 hours after we got it running again.

2014: Graduated, got married, and had more time/energy to focus on it. Replaced factory springs with discontinued lowering springs paired with Konis front/rear. Pulled rear subframe to install poly bushings & indestructible differential mount. Put in a lot of hours on the paint with a dual action buffer and series of polishing compounds... made the 28 year old paint shine.

2015: This is where things start to get fun. We completed a front end refresh. Upgraded to aluminum 4-piston Z32 front calipers, stainless brake lines, Stoptech pads, roll center adjusters (for added negative camber), and solid front tension rod bushings. Also installed a manual boost controller and turned pressure up from 7lbs to 10lbs. Bought & installed a pair of 80's Recaro seats off a local guy... huge upgrade from the heavy worn & split leather seats. Also bought a set of Watanabe RS8 wheels & refinished them.

2016: Continuing the fun. Replaced worn driver's window regulator & had the windows tinted. Mounted the refinished Watanabe wheels and tires. Ordered & installed 3" downpipe, test pipe, and axle back exhaust. Won 1st place in its class for autocross & show at the regional Z car show.

Earlier this year we bought a later year turbo car with a blown engine that had been wrecked and parted it out. Ended up with some nice suspension upgrades and spare parts from that. Also went on a 2-week vacation in May to Japan and attended the largest Z car show... over 800 cars in attendance. So there was some good inspiration from that. I ended up with some hard to find parts from that trip: early Japanese-only model hood with scoop, single piece headlights, and Fairlady Z badge. Hoping to get those ready to go on soon.

Currently we're taking the next few steps toward a big upgrade. I'm collecting parts for an eventual engine build (using Nissan's 3.3L instead of the current 3.0L), so I jumped on a group buy for cam regrinds and ended up with some pretty gnarly cams. We deleted all the emissions controls and bought a later year ECU for Nistune (allows for tuning of factory ECU). I have yet to figure out which turbo I want to pair with it. We also have a (stronger) Z32 transmission & (better designed) S13 rear subframe to install. Still collecting parts for the swaps, of course.

It's been a fun car that's allowed me to learn and grow. We'll see what comes of it in the following years.

Last edited by pace2006; 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

looks clean! You sold the camaro right?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Correct. Sold it in 2013.
                            '99 Camaro
                            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to get another phone
                              by ssms5411
                              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                              1 week ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Leaking front cover
                              by ssms5411
                              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • transamtom1
                              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                              by transamtom1
                              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X