Got Myself a Z Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Myself a Z Car

Decided to go the mustache route on the next car and picked up this lovely 1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo. I bought it off a friend that had accumulated too many project cars and wanted to keep this one in the group. I'm the 4th owner, but a manila folder full of service records dating back to '87 came with the car. I'm planning on using it as a replacement daily driver so I can get started on the plans for the Camaro. I might add a few small mods to it in the future, but just trying to get used to it right now. This little car's so much fun to drive.

A few details...

1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo T5
    3.0L V6 (VG30ET)
    Leather 2 seater
    T-tops
    Heat-sensitive foglight blinds (these things crack me up)
    Electronic adjustable suspension
    Functional "Sleepy Eye" modification

I got it for $1200 with 155,xxx miles and a few spare parts, including a spare T3 that I'm sending off to be rebuilt and swapped in. The stock T3 is starting to show its age. Paint is also in need of a little polishing to get it back to a good shine.

Here it is after a quick wash yesterday. I'll post some better pics later.

'99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: Got Myself a Z Car

nice find pace! i'm not an import guy but a 300zx is one of the few i would make a project car (might help if i could fit in them a little better first haha)

i drove my friend's '95 zx garrett twin turbo, black on black with a t5 and ttops --- man that thing was fun :D

i know your new ride is in good hands, but what's your plan for the 3.8?
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Looks pretty good for its age, but I wouldn't fit in one of those being 6'4"s unless they have alot of seat room being a 2 seater. Thats why I like Camaro's and Corvettes easy to fit in. I almost had me a 02' Camaro Z28 87,000 miles for $5000 but someone called and came to pick it up 30 min. before I called. Good luck with it. Are they FWD or rear?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm excited about driving it and getting some needed work done on the Camaro. Ironically, right now neither one of the cars has a functioning driver's side window, but I can still manually lift and drop the window on the Nissan. Both of those will be fixed soon.

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
        i know your new ride is in good hands, but what's your plan for the 3.8?
        I don't want to disclose the plans for the Camaro yet, as they're not set in stone. But most likely the 3.8 will be finding a new home for a future build. This Nissan is doubling as a car for me to learn a little more about turbos and FI. I'm looking at what all it would take to convert it to a blow-through MAF setup with a Bosch BOV and small intercooler. It currently doesn't have any form of air charge cooling and only has a pop-off valve in the intake in case of boost spikes or wastegate failure. But as I said, it's supposed to be a daily car, so I probably shouldn't mess with it too much.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Are they FWD or rear?
        It's RWD. Unfortunately this one was a year too early to get the CLSD, so it has the one-tire-fire syndrome. There are a few discontinued OEM and aftermarket differential options available, but I'm not really concerned with trying to find one or spending the money on them.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Just got back from a drive in this car and it's a blast! I swapped the rear brake pads on it, so no more grinding noise and no shudder. Pretty addicting to watch the boost gauge in this thing too. Lol. I'm going to be sad when it'll be down for a week or two to get the turbo rebuilt and replaced.

Oh yeah... and perfect day to take the t-tops down. :rock:
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

haha pace you're pretty much one of the coolest chicks ever ;)
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Nice how much boost does it run stock?
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Nice ride, I have an 87 NA2T swap, I absolutely love mine. Enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Nice how much boost does it run stock?
                  It only runs 6.8psi (random, I know) and is non-intercooled. From what I've read so far, it can be turned up to a max of about 12psi before the fuel system and ECU need to be upgraded. The T3 also can't handle much more than that without becoming inefficient.

If I can get a small intercooler and reroute the intake a little, I'd look at bumping it up to about 10psi for a little more fun. Might look into doing that this summer.

Originally posted by Savorybacon View Post
                  Nice ride, I have an 87 NA2T swap, I absolutely love mine. Enjoy it
                  Thanks. Got any pics of your NA2T? I love the cleaner look of the kouki models.
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

For 1200 that's a bargain. I used to ride in my friend's Z which looked exactly like that, same color too. That was the car to beat back then.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

You should , intercoolers are pretty cheap on ebay and they are pretty good, just make sure you get a bar/plate design and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Very nice! I had an 82 280zx before I got my Camaro. I'm a big fan of Z cars.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X