Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor

Im thinking of getting an Air Compressor.... And I want it to be the all around type.... the kind you can use for a nailer, impact wrench, Spray gun etc etc... any suggestions?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
    Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Re: Compressor

If you can afford it, do it. I know I'd be able to do alot of work on my car on my own if I could afford one.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
    Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

How much are you looking at spending? We have a Craftsman compressor that easily handles anything I've used with it. IIRC, it's like 30-35 gallons and 6hp.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
        How much are you looking at spending? We have a Craftsman compressor that easily handles anything I've used with it. IIRC, it's like 30-35 gallons and 6hp.

im not actually sure.. maybe around 500-800ish... actually i dont have a clue on what to look on a compressor. because at where I work theres only a hose, all i have to do is attach a bunch of stuff on it...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Comment

Well with a budget like that you have plenty to work with. This one is probably more than most people would ever need as is on the low end of your budget.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=compressor

EDIT: maybe not that one in particular, looks like it has some bad reviews. But something like that should be plenty enough for most tools
          Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Well with a budget like that you have plenty to work with. This one is probably more than most people would ever need as is on the low end of your budget.

EDIT: maybe not that one in particular, looks like it has some bad reviews. But something like that should be plenty enough for most tools

sweet... question? what does hose number mean? 80 gal stuff, 6hp stuff? the higher the number the better? the better the more money i need? lol.. well i was thinking of buying the whole set like the compressor... then also buy the other accessories i needed...
            so everything should fit in my 500-800 mark... :)

Comment

After looking at some compressors online, I think I was mixed up with my lawnmower It's probably around 1-2hp. The "rating" on it was 6. I don't know if they still use those ratings, but they basically had a sheet with required and recommended ratings for all the different types of tools, and the 6 met all requirements and most recommendations.

I think this one is pretty similar to mine, but I think mine may have a higher capacity (possibly more hp but not sure)

Hose number probably has something to do with the diameter or connectors. I'm not sure, but I know there are different types of connectors and stuff.

What kind of tools are you looking to get with the compressor? The tools can add up quite fast especially if you get quality ones. Hoses aren't cheap either.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

After looking at some compressors online, I think I was mixed up with my lawnmower It's probably around 1-2hp. The "rating" on it was 6. I don't know if they still use those ratings, but they basically had a sheet with required and recommended ratings for all the different types of tools, and the 6 met all requirements and most recommendations.

I think this one is pretty similar to mine, but I think mine may have a higher capacity (possibly more hp but not sure)

Hose number probably has something to do with the diameter or connectors. I'm not sure, but I know there are different types of connectors and stuff.

What kind of tools are you looking to get with the compressor? The tools can add up quite fast especially if you get quality ones. Hoses aren't cheap either.

well im thinking of heating the garage (Nailer) and since spring is here, im also thinking of working some stuff in my car (Impact Wrench, other car tools stuff) and taking care of some rust on the Bird (Spray Gun)... so basically its going to be used around the car...

Comment

Just the thread I was looking for and I didnt have to perform a Search. Yes!

I am also looking for a decent compressor thats does all that too. I've seen the Lowes item for $403 which I'm willing to buy plus separate fittings. I been eyeing them pressure washers too. Many uses I can think of.

Cmon gearheads, lets add to this thread. Spring cruising is near especially for us New Englanders. I can't wait for warmer temps and gettin the F-Bodies out from that dusty second home we call a garage.

An air compressor is a valuable home asset for sure!
                  Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

check craigs list, you can find some really good compressors for pretty cheap. I got a 400 dollar compressor for $160
                    keep in mind oil less compressors are pretty loud. The oil ones run much more silent.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Just goig to point out the noise thing.

the tank is how much air it holds before needs to be refilled, I vote get the biggest one that fits your area.

the numbers to look is the CFM @ psi like it will say 4.7 CFM@90 psi.

If you are looking at spraying, and maybe using an angle grinder, get a big one. I have a crappy walmart one I got for $90. Its a pos but runs an air ratchet and impact wrench.

Comment

bought one!!! along with the fittings... max 150psi 17gallons... got the angle grinder... Spray Gun... Impact wrench... whole bunch of stuff... and the compressor i bought was a cheapo sH!t.... well its replaceble for 2 darn years... spring is here... time to put the decent rims back on...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X