Retarted clutch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retarted clutch...

So, now the car is in the shop for the clutch. It was knocking around, screwing with the car's power...now...the shop offered to fix it for $700. Is this fair, or should I pursue to buy a clutch myself and put it in myself?

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
    Quarter Million Mile Club

Re: Retarted clutch...

do it your self...$700 is bullcrap it will take you 1 hour if you know what your doing

Comment

LOL it will not take you one hour, expect a day... Plan for 2

It can be done at yourself, things you will need beyond standard tools.

about 2-3ft worth of extensions, decent jack(not car jack), jack stands. Solid surface to work on the car, and some prybars all help.

Torque wrench isn't a bad idea either.

I also suggest you replace the slave cylinder while you have it out of the car, they do go out and you will have to do everything again.

then its just the cost of parts, Now you must decide is it worth your trouble(time+tools you don't have+frustration)

Comment

well I pulled a T-5with bell housing in 20mins....but then again I had the nose on a roll back about 4 ft in the air....

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2 View Post
          well I pulled a T-5with bell housing in 20mins....but then again I had the nose on a roll back about 4 ft in the air....
          Well your a mechanic god.... pat yourself on the back.

not gonna lie, I consider my self handy but will take me 20 min, just to jack my car up and get my tools ready, and make sure beer is cold.

this guy has obviously never done it since he is asking, he will likely have to run out and buy a tool here and there in between, come across problems. I'd say takes an average person in a driveway, 3-6 hours. but assume with breaks and such, and checking the web for tips.

funny fact, I pulled and installed a tranny faster by myself then when I had help.

Comment

nobody to get in the way and try to make you do it their way....you just git-r-done

Comment

hahahaha NO WAY can you pull a tranny, install a clutch and replace in 1 hour.

I pulled the tranny in my camaro quite a few times.

It takes 1/2 hr just to get to damn bell housing bolts out, maybe 1 hr.

Plus all the other stuff you have to disconnect, lining it up right etc. etc.

If your sort of have a mechanical background, and think you could do it... MAYBE?

But if you dont, I would highly suggest not doing it. Pain in the @ss.

I had so many problems come across when doing it, it wasnt fun.
              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

also, the other thing. I dont think $700 is that bad of a price.

the new clutch is like $300, plus I hope they are replacing the slave, master, throw out bearing and either resurfacing the flywheel or replacing it.
                *Matt

Comment

yea If you've never dropped a trans its going to take a LONG time, I've done it many many time and now with access to a tow truck I can lift a front end 4 ft in the air and get every bolt with a 3in extension LOL

Comment

a few pictures of the hellish tranny job

*Matt

Comment

also not to mention, getting the dash apart, pulling the shifter and re-assembling.
                      *Matt

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
                        a few pictures of the hellish tranny job

You and your rich neighborhood...

$700 for the whole 9 yards, so I think its fair...It'll remain there for another week...sadly...

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
                        Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

If it's $700 for the whole thing, I wouldnt pass it up.

$700 either they are giving you a new crappy clutch, or doing all the labor for free. :tup:
                          *Matt

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
                            If it's $700 for the whole thing, I wouldnt pass it up.

$700 either they are giving you a new crappy clutch, or doing all the labor for free. :tup:
                            i am gonna go ahead and say he's getting crappy clutch which is OK... as long as the darn thing shifts, you're good...Even though my clutch is in great shape since the car was driven highway all it's life, I can't wait till my warranty is up so that I can put in either JWT or nismo clutch... :excited:...I believe they want 600 just to put in the clutch in a Z (parts excluded) so, you're getting a great deal if everything is included :tup:

:)
                            09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                            sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

I was quoted $300 for labor to change the clutch, slave cylinder, rear main and rear plate seal. I supply the parts. OEM clutch kits are relatively inexpensive and is fine for this guy if he is on a budget.
                              -Brad
                              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                              :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X