September 11th fatique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 11th fatique

I don't want to mess up the other thread, and something needs to be said here.

"Can we just walk away now? NO. (see post WWI Germany for reasons)"

"when he got back he told me so many stories that just pumped me up even more to keep troops over there"

"we're stuck there now and we cant leave until the country is stable"

"we CANNOT leave and probably will not for along time. All you can do is support until it's stable."

I know that 30% of the American people still support the war. Maybe most of the people here.

But the reality is we will start major troop reductions in the next year, aimed at total withdrawal.

The Republicans in Congress will revolt before that. They can do the math. You can't continue a war that's supported by only 30% of the American people, almost all of them your core voters anyway. It's political suicide.

So, the responsible thing for Bush to do is to sit down with the military and the State Department (and the Democrat leaders) and figure out what's the best strategy to pursue in Iraq assuming we're going to leave in the next few years, no matter what.

When we do leave Iraq it will be horrible, no matter what or when. The thing we need to figure out is how to make it less horrible. My personal favorite is three countries. We guarantee the security of the Kurds, Saudi Arabia does the same for the Sunnis, and Iran, the Shiites. Terrorists will be worse off with that setup than they are now.
    Last edited by V6Bob; 09-11-2007, 01:13 PM.
    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Re: September 11th fatique

I only see an arguement occuring from this thread... Many agree and some disagree. Some will say it would have happened this way and some would say it wouldn't have. Either way we are over there and need to take care of business. There is no reason to leave it in a mess that we caused, even if it was doomed in the first place.
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

DAISEY CUTTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by kala
      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
      parting her out

Comment

Originally posted by V6Bob
        So, the responsible thing for Bush to do is to sit down with the military and the State Department (and the Democrat leaders) and figure out what's the best strategy to pursue in Iraq assuming we're going to leave in the next few years, no matter what.

CNN 12:45 PDT

President Bush will announce this week plans to cut U.S. troop numbers in Iraq by about 30,000 by next summer, The Associated Press reports quoting unnamed officials.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
          DAISEY CUTTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those aren't the big ones anymore, welcome to the MOAB
          http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/moab.htm
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

The Republicans in Congress will revolt before that. They can do the math. You can't continue a war that's supported by only 30% of the American people, almost all of them your core voters anyway. It's political suicide.
            Sadly, you are right. it is too bad politics will affect this outcome instead of doing what needs to be done (whatever that may be).

Haven't they tried this? The "problem" is that one side wants a full scale unconditional pull-out and the other doesn't want egg on their collective faces. Again politics.

When we do leave Iraq it will be horrible, no matter what or when. The thing we need to figure out is how to make it less horrible.
            This is a hard metric. Less horrible for whom? Some things I read Iraquis say things are better now. Some say worse.

Originally posted by josh98bird
            Either way we are over there and need to take care of business. There is no reason to leave it in a mess that we caused, even if it was doomed in the first place.
            agreed.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
              Originally Posted by V6Bob
              "So, the responsible thing for Bush to do is to sit down with the military and the State Department (and the Democrat leaders) and figure out what's the best strategy to pursue in Iraq assuming we're going to leave in the next few years, no matter what."

Haven't they tried this? The "problem" is that one side wants a full scale unconditional pull-out and the other doesn't want egg on their collective faces. Again politics.
              No they haven't, at all. Bush has been "determined".

I'm not talking about what's "best". My point is people who say "We'll be there for several years" are ignoring political reality. We won't and we need to plan for that, starting right now. What's the best thing we can do in, say, two years? Out by Fall, 2009. The Democrats would be happy to have that discussion, but Bush won't entertain the notion.
              Last edited by V6Bob; 09-12-2007, 01:49 AM.
              2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

No they haven't, at all. Bush has been "determined".

I'm not talking about what's "best". My point is people who say "We'll be there for several years" are ignoring political reality. We won't and we need to plan for that, starting right now. What's the best thing we can do in, say, two years? Out by Fall, 2009. The Democrats would be happy to have that discussion, but Bush won't entertain the notion.
                I *think* the issue there is you cannot set an absolute date. The terrorists will go into hiding, train more, build forces, and then return winter of 2009.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go
                  those aren't the big ones anymore, welcome to the MOAB
                  http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/moab.htm
                  The Russians just tested a bigger one even yet, with tact nuke power!:eek:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 hours ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X