back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to school

So I'm back at school tomorrow. I'm starting at a new university (university of toronto), in a new program (criminology) and beginning a new degree (masters). I'm not sure what to expect from grad school. Anyone know what an MA is like compared to undergraduate work?

Re: back to school

I have no clue, but congratulations and best of luck
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Be prepared to do a lot more work if you didn't do too much in undergrad(don't know what your major was in undergrad) or if you aren't used to it. I was in an engineering major for my undergrad and am doing the same thing for my master's now... still a lot of work!

Things are also less lax in grad school... C's are very bad(could get you kicked out of the program) and even B's aren't that lovely anymore. You basically want A's in everything cause pretty much all of your classes count toward your specialization and you'll be taking a lot less credits to graduate.

I don't know about the demographics of your classmates...but it totally changed for me. In undergrad, mostly domestic students. In grad... mostly international students. Lots of Indian people(not surprised... it's computer engineering). So if the class is on a curve, be prepared for competition, cause most grad students are serious.

Other than that, enjoy your last few years in college before you have to settle down and get a job. I'm definitely gonna enjoy my last year here, even though I will have been here for 6 years after I'm done. But that's alright, I've seen the Gators win 3 championships in my time here(who knows, maybe more after this year)! :)
      Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike88
        So I'm back at school tomorrow. I'm starting at a new university (university of toronto), in a new program (criminology) and beginning a new degree (masters). I'm not sure what to expect from grad school. Anyone know what an MA is like compared to undergraduate work?
        wow that place starts late! ive been here at Purdue for a month now.

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

hahhahahahahahahhahha
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

yea, american schools always start earlier then us...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The big difference I saw was that graduate professors expect you to want to work. They don't hold you hand, they don't push you to do the work. Most of the people in graduate programs want to be there and want to work. Those that don't fail out quickly.

Personally, I found the material in grad school to be harder, but overall it was easier because a lot of the busy work was gone. They cut to the chase and just give you the hard problems to solve instead of giving lots of busy work.

My classes start tonight. :(

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

You go to purdue? where do you live?
                - Why tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death -

Comment

well first day is over with. Thanks for the info. I went to McGill in sociology for my undergrad so the reading and work load was very heavy and i definitely didn't slack off. I guess it prepared me well, because the reading lists don't look too much more daunting in grad school. The demographics haven't changed much...for a city as culturally diverse as Toronto, there are far fewer ethnicities represented in my program than I would have guessed. Also, the Criminology program, like Sociology seems to be made up of mostly women. I think there were about 20 women compared to 4 men. Interesting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X