I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people...

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
    YOu want the list?

-New clutch, hydraulics, flywheel @ 7k miles
    -New tires, plugs/wires @ 35k
    -Cat died at 35k
    -powersteering pump died at 40k
    -power window motor died at 40k
    -clutch/flywheel.slave replaced at 55k(also did master just because)
    -60k tailshaft broke on tranny, put new tranny in
    -Rear end roaring @ 50k
    -Replacement rear end is currently whining.

and now... Radiator clogged, sprung a leak, sludge, through entire cooling system.

My car is a 2k with 82k miles.
    Dude that really sounds like you got a lemon...tires are given on any car...that has to do with brand, treadwear, alignment issues, and most important your driving habbits... I have an auto so I can't speak for the clutch...plugs and wires are a given, even tho I just replaced mine for no reason other then to get msd **** about a month ago...my power steering pump is still original works fine...dont have power windows so I cant speak for that...like i said i got auto so clutch/flywheel is N/a for me...never had any problems with the tranny on a side note tho...rear end is fine and its original...you said you like to do things yourself and im not trying to put u down or anything...but that could also be a factor as to why uve had to replace things a few times? possibly...or like I said u got a lemon lol...either way that suxs and would make me frustrated to

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Dexcool...

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...l-macs2001.php

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/g...action-status/

http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
        Dude that really sounds like you got a lemon...tires are given on any car...that has to do with brand, treadwear, alignment issues, and most important your driving habbits... I have an auto so I can't speak for the clutch...plugs and wires are a given, even tho I just replaced mine for no reason other then to get msd **** about a month ago...my power steering pump is still original works fine...dont have power windows so I cant speak for that...like i said i got auto so clutch/flywheel is N/a for me...never had any problems with the tranny on a side note tho...rear end is fine and its original...you said you like to do things yourself and im not trying to put u down or anything...but that could also be a factor as to why uve had to replace things a few times? possibly...or like I said u got a lemon lol...either way that suxs and would make me frustrated to
        I never complained about the drivetrain stuff because I raced for awhile. So I cannot be upset about it, now the non-related stuff....

Its somewhat common.

Comment

I honestly think you got a lemon:rant:
          FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
          Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
          Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
            I honestly think you got a lemon:rant:
            ....x2

That or you haven't taken care of it correctly... drive it like **** and it will run like ****
            Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Yea...I realize there is lawsuits against GM for the coolant and ****...but I dont know how many other memebers here have it as bad as what you have it right now...and from the sounds of it...you may have contributed to it when you switched between the two coolants...Im still leaning towards the lemon side tho...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Predator Bird
                you can do what my old roommate did up there...
                he got drunk downtown one night and when he went to the parking garage his car was gone. he reported the car stolen and after a month of driving a rental the insurance company gave him a check for the amount of the car.
                then 4 months later he gets a call saying the car was found in the same garage he parked it in w/ everything still inside. laptop, ipod, sirius, and shirts from the dry cleaner were all still inside. he thinks someone pulled a prank on him and refuses to believe he was too drunk and forgot where he parked his car.
                ;)
                Now that is a great story!

Comment

my camaro is a 98 and i just tripped 91k on her and i got it last july with 65k ok the day after i got it coil pack went bad two weeks later another then had to do plugs and wires no biggie has bad wheel hop needs shocks needs tranny mount replaced front brake pads month and a half later front calipers seize and had to be replaced rear whines and pinion seal leaks ds window motor is about gone takes 10mns to roll down and 10 to roll up hatch hinges are messed up and hatch is about to fall off exhaust hanger broke again had to replace cat and I pipe about to do my 3rd set of tires (my fault) tranny has slight 3-4band slip when on interstate but only occasionaly. gone through 5 ds markerlight bulbs and just recently as i was driving down a backroad on the way home at night the headlights died all 4 its not bulbs not fuses or relays either but the rest of the lights work! i love the f-body i have 3 and all cars will have problems but im fed up with my 98. honestly i was gona buy a ls1 4thgen but decided to put a ls1 powerplant in one of my thirdgens because the 4th gen to me aint worth ****. my uncles 02 t/a needed a new rear after 15k and window motors waterpump at 30k ect ect and he has kept it bone stock and i dont think even knows how to do a burnout. the 3.8 is good never down it but the 4thgen f-body well:tdown:

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                    there are class action suits about it... Its a big problem with Dexcool(red coolant)
                    Once it starts, its hard to get rid of.
                    Amen. You did yr best, just a ****ty deal.
                    Recommend the 3800 F-body, just with coolant and windw motor caveats...

Comment

Car was holding coolant, ok, dribbling a little... I was using the coolant flushers(supposed to drive on it)

Drove a good amount for 2 days, maybe 1-2 hours... Checking and adding coolant and bleeding...

Then radiator decided to take a huge ****, dumping everything, wouldn't even hold water. But here is the best part... Motor overheated and stalled. Yet the coolant guage never crossed the halfway point.

Got towed home.

partially my fault... for pushing my luck. But was trying to clean the system with the old radiator in, so if **** broke loose and clumped together it would happen in my old radiator and not a new one.

oh well 3rd time I have had to tow this car...

Comment

Is that a new(er) rad?

I would take it out and have someone flush it... or just buy a new one. It's cheaper than a new motor/car.

As for the temp gauge, have you verified the sensor? You can test it for resistance.
                        FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                        Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                        Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
                          Is that a new(er) rad?

I would take it out and have someone flush it... or just buy a new one. It's cheaper than a new motor/car.

As for the temp gauge, have you verified the sensor? You can test it for resistance.

Nope still ****ty radiator, car really wasn't dumping coolant, I was using a flushing agent that reccomended on other board(suppose to drive with it) for the off shot if some more mud worked itself loose, and happened to get stuck in the radiator, wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't...

The guage has always been fine, via hptuners. Seemed normal, the needle is too accurate but the same every other 3.8L I have seen.

I am going to check/maybe just replace the sensor. Hopefully no damage. Starter did sound funny 2nd tme I started it off the truck and into the garage(cooled down)

But wouldn't surprise me, I have a used starter in the car, and the original took a dump on me(forgot another 3.8L problem I had)

Comment

Pro flush and new radiator and sensor, and go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              8 hours ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Had to get another phone
                              by ssms5411
                              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                              1 week ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Leaking front cover
                              by ssms5411
                              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • transamtom1
                              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                              by transamtom1
                              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X