I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people...

I suggest the 3.8L to every now and then... but I think I am going to stop.

I have taken decent care of my car, sure I beat on it for a bit, can't really blame the problems associated to that too much...

Things I have replaced...
    -power steering pump
    -window motor
    -had 2 CATS go bad on me
    -now my radiator, and some of the cooling system is taking a dump...
    -"sealed" foglight is out...
    -4 of my 6 speakers are blown, 1 unconnected because so bad, getting ready
    to do another.

all nothing too bad, but my car has 80k on it... WTF, to an average car person, this could cost them $2k in repairs. Maybe more, and even then there are other things that will start coming up... Brake jobs, clutch, etc...

Brakes are exactly a cheap job on the 98+.

I mean granted it all isn't that bad since I do my own stuff, and like working cars... but after working on the 5.0, and a few trucks recently, I forgot how easy cars can be to work on.

But to the average person/friend I know that would never do their own oil change...

not sure its a good car to suggest anymore, that and the fact they are getting old now.

Re: I think I am going to stop reccomending the 3.8L f-body to people...

Maybe you should drive your car off a cliff.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
      Maybe you should drive your car off a cliff.
      No cliffs in Florida, but not going to lie, but if I had a choice of my car or the insurance money... I'd take insurance money...

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
        No cliffs in Florida, but not going to lie, but if I had a choice of my car or the insurance money... I'd take insurance money...
        Insurance money would be nice.......

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Hell, I'd take insurance money too. Why? Because the KBB on my car is around what I could get a modded LT1 for. That makes me cry :( I even found a 79 with the following: 350 Crate Motor (GM Goodwrench), TH 350 Turbo Tranny (Less than 5000 Miles on engine/tranny), B&M Shift Kit, TCI 3000 Stall, 234/244 Summit Cam, Accel blue print distrib, Holley 600 4 barrel Carb with K&N cleaner, Weidand aluminum intake, HT 53,000 volt coil, 10 bolt posi with Richmond gears 3.73, KYB shocks on all 4 corners, Hotchkis 1.5 inch Springs, American Racing Outlaw 2 Aluminum wheels, Comp Engineering SFC, Rebuilt brake system, Blacked out down to the taillight covers and 5% tints. For what my car's supposedly worth (KBB is ~$4400)
          Last edited by RadRacer; 09-01-2007, 11:48 AM.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
            Hell, I'd take insurance money too. Why? Because the KBB on my car is around what I could get a modded LT1 for. That makes me cry :(
            I'll steal it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
              I'll steal it for you.

For real!!!

Comment

if you look in recent reports the 3800 was the top v6 at one time, so there is no doubt the engine is great, but as with anything you are going to get engines that are bad, you may have gotten hold of a bad car, but that doesnt mean everyone is the same as yours, i have a 1999 firebird with 110k miles on it, and the only tihngs i have had to fix are things that go out at 100k other than those little things, my car is flawless
                1999 White Pontiac
                A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

yea most of that stuff is because you have abused it or didn't keep it up.

speakers...playing them too loud
                  window motor....use ac more (only $30 fix though)
                  radiator....probably mixed up different coolants causing it to mud up

other stuff is all common for other cars as well. The engine itself is a brute and something that can take a beating...

I have 110k on my car, stock foglights, headlights, power steering, speakers, cat, radiator, etc. So it depends on the care and use of the car. But to say that you are not recommending 3.8l cars is just stupid as the engine is great
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                    you can do what my old roommate did up there...

he got drunk downtown one night and when he went to the parking garage his car was gone. he reported the car stolen and after a month of driving a rental the insurance company gave him a check for the amount of the car.

then 4 months later he gets a call saying the car was found in the same garage he parked it in w/ everything still inside. laptop, ipod, sirius, and shirts from the dry cleaner were all still inside. he thinks someone pulled a prank on him and refuses to believe he was too drunk and forgot where he parked his car.

if you want to know which garage this was in i'd be happy to tell you. ;)
                    94 Firebird - Red A4<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                      yea most of that stuff is because you have abused it or didn't keep it up.

speakers...playing them too loud
                      window motor....use ac more (only $30 fix though)
                      radiator....probably mixed up different coolants causing it to mud up

other stuff is all common for other cars as well. The engine itself is a brute and something that can take a beating...

I have 110k on my car, stock foglights, headlights, power steering, speakers, cat, radiator, etc. So it depends on the care and use of the car. But to say that you are not recommending 3.8l cars is just stupid as the engine is great

Monsoon speakers are known to be ****, thats why they sell for more then aftermarket speakers on ebay because everyone blows them(because they don't want to have to redo the whole sounds system and very few 2 ohm speakers out there)

35k for a window motor? They are known as **** on our cars, they are underpowered for the size window.

How do you misuse a CAT? original and a GM dealership replaced one

I used dexcool on the camaro, I am not an idiot, I have had f-bodies for years and probably done more work on f-bodies then you can imagine.

I mean overall its not that bad... but say I have a friend that doesn't work on cars, and has no desire too... he would have to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

If you want to get crazy...

at 7k miles, the slave seized and locked up killing the clutch and flywheel. Then later the slave and clutch and flywheel got ****ed at 55k(probably do to drag racing some)

getting ready to put my 3rd 10-bolt in... again related to drag racing.

I mean I take pretty decent care of my cars, and so far on paper... My girlfriends 2k Z24 has had less "non-abuse related" problems then my 2k camaro... and frankly Cavaliers are POS's.

Comment

hell lets bring up the whole, misfire and having to do heat sheathing and more...

The motor itself is reliable... just everything around is ****ty.

Even then you get to the people with rear main seals, and intake manifold leaks.
                        Last edited by DAS BOOT; 09-01-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

pick any car you want, and we will show you the flaws. No car is perfect...

So what are you going to recommend then, a horse and buggy? Buggy will have issues as well.

Better just tell people to walk on foot to places, oh yea shoes where out as well.

get the point yet, so yea saying the 3.8 is bad just cuz of a few problems that any car will have is just crazy talk

But yea let me know what car is perfect so I can buy one and never worry about anything breaking

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                            pick any car you want, and we will show you the flaws. No car is perfect...

So what are you going to recommend then, a horse and buggy? Buggy will have issues as well.

Better just tell people to walk on foot to places, oh yea shoes where out as well.

get the point yet, so yea saying the 3.8 is bad just cuz of a few problems that any car will have is just crazy talk

But yea let me know what car is perfect so I can buy one and never worry about anything breaking

not saying cars will be perfect... but we are talking 80k miles, that is nothing nowadays... ehh whatever I am sure this will fall on deaf ears anyways, this is the same forum that had to ask if they should trade a v6 f-body for a testarosa.

Comment

look at audi's and volkswagons, you need to change the timing chain and such at 60k or else your going to blow your engine....that to me seems rediculous as that is no cheap job on those cars. A speaker or window motor is nothing compared to things like that.

when it is all said and done cars are money pits and things are always going to break

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X