Upgrading to a V8, but need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to a V8, but need help...

Alright guys... I've found a 2000 Camaro Z28 with a little over 35,000 miles on it that has been wrecked and repaired. The seller says that the frame is straight and everything is in perfect working condition except for the auto transmission which has no 3rd or 4th gear. What should I look for in the front end to make sure everything was repaired? The guy said he was quoted $500-$1000 to fix the transmission and is wanting $7,000 OBO... What do y'all think? Should I offer $8,000 and tell him to fix the transmission for that supposedly quoted price or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is in the description of the vehicle...

2000 Camaro Z28
    CLEAN TEXAS TITLE
    32k miles on body and motor
    Tan Cloth interior (great shape, minor stains)
    Rebuilt front end (straight as new)
    Mismatched hood, fenders, and front bumper (quotes vary from 500-1500)
    Bad transmission (quotes I have received vary from 500-1000)
    Blown Airbags
    Few missing interior pieces
    New radiator
    New condensor ( AC works great )
    New fans
    Has the Z28 appearance package as you can see in the pics, I do not have the front lip

The guys a dumbass cause he says after he got it rebuilt he was so excited to drive it that he didn't put trans fluid in the car, and after about 3,000 miles... the trans died in 3rd and 4th. I looked up what it would cost to get a performance transmission and it's around $1,000 but how much would it cost to have it be put in.... or can I do it myself? Another question... we have 4L60E's... but I read somewhere that LS1 V8's have a modified version called the 4L65E... is this true?
    Last edited by CoasterKev06; 06-14-2007, 10:16 AM.

Re: Upgrading to a V8, but need help...

I don't know what prices are like down in TX, but I don't think it's worth it. That isn't that far under blue book. By the time you are done repairing it you will probably have paid blue book and still have a car with a blemished title.

Comment

You better off checking the NADA price on the car than the bluebook. Not many people use blue book anymore. I woudl have to agree the price sounds to high. Here where I am you can by a used one in perfect condition for about that price.

Comment

Blown airbags usually means the insurance company totalled it.
        1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Umm, yeah ... I am just gonna ahead and say NO ......yeah... (Bill Lumbergh) Dont' do it. ARe you crazy? $8000 for a wrecked car. You can buy a nice 98 or 99 z28 with 70-80K miles in mint condition for $8000. Go to Ls1tech.com . It's your friend.

:)
          09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
          sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

ive seen 98-00 ls1's for around 10k$ here...paying 7k for a wrecked car is no bueno dude

Comment

Well, thanks for the help. The Z28 market is quite a bit more expensive down here. You can buy a 2001 with 90,000 for about $11,000. I don't want that many miles because I need mine to last the rest of my college and into my professional career (so about 10 years) without having that much maintenance costs besides all the regular oil changes, filters, etc... In y'alls opinion... how many miles is too many miles on an LS1 Camaro for it to accomplish the stuff I previously listed? Like I said I'm currently looking at 50,000 mile cars but if a well taken care of 90,000 mile car will do the trick then I'll go for it.

Comment

Way to much money for that thing.

If your worried about high mileage engines, have the owner do a compression test for you, that tells you everything.
                1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X