Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another PHR Article - New Camaro

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...409phr_camaro/

Very good read! One part I found pretty interesting that I wanted to point out:

"PHR commissioned computer artist and animator Kris Horton to smooth out Pauwel's drawing. Horton added color, put realistic wheels and tires on and modeled it in diffuse natural light. The resemblance to the Opel Insignia is striking. Insiders say the base model will be a V6 RS and the performance version will have a 5.3-liter V8 (that's 327 cubic inches!) and be called SS. A year or two later, a more powerful Z28 performance model will follow on, perhaps with a 6-liter V-8."

So a V6 model in the works, and just a 5.3L to start off with, then later the LS2 6.0L? Hmm. Good for V6 community, and the S1 guys will be whining for years if this is the way it all happens [img]smile.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

I'll take a dozen! If it really looks like that, IMO it looks BETTER than the new Vette (which I already like)!
    Lenore<br />Red 1996 Camaro 3.8L M5<br />Flowmaster 80 Series, Pro-5.0 Shifter

Comment

meh, tell me when they come out with a firebird....(I know, I know, its not going to happen :sad:)
      RedlineVSix

Comment

Originally posted by 95fbirdkid:
        meh, tell me when they come out with a firebird....(I know, I know, its not going to happen :sad:)
        New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
        RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
        crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
        The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

My personal feelings on the Camaro revival is this. I'm glad they are bringing it back, and I hope to God it does not resemble ONE THING that render looks like. Even Lutz said it will not take a retro look, so why the hell are they using that nasty picture. If a new Camaro comes out, I want it to be sleek. Not a 1st gen revival that resembles the new retro Mustang. :puke:

And as much as I want the bird to be brought back, it's always good knowing I have a part of history. Plus, I don't think Pontiac can ever touch the 2nd 4th gen body of the Firebird.

CLIFF NOTES: Bring back the Camaro, but don't make it ugly retro. Improve the 98-02 design. Pontiac can't improve the 98-02 seXy Firebird look so I'm glad it's all said and done.

I own a piece of history. [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]

[ August 18, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: epic ]
          2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

talk is cheap, especially when they talk about powertrain options.

in my heart of hearts i know that the base will be a V6, then a V8, then the same V8 with different intake, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by epic:
              My personal feelings on the Camaro revival is this. I'm glad they are bringing it back, and I hope to God it does not resemble ONE THING that render looks like. Even Lutz said it will not take a retro look, so why the hell are they using that nasty picture. If a new Camaro comes out, I want it to be sleek. Not a 1st gen revival that resembles the new retro Mustang. :puke:

And as much as I want the bird to be brought back, it's always good knowing I have a part of history. Plus, I don't think Pontiac can ever touch the 2nd 4th gen body of the Firebird.

CLIFF NOTES: Bring back the Camaro, but don't make it ugly retro. Pontaic can't improve the 98-02 Firebird look so I'm glad it's done.
              Yah... I hate the front end of it... I really don't see why the auto industry feels the need to continually change cars. Why not just barely change the firebird body (make it more agressive.. somehow &lt;_&lt;...) and make more firebirds? Like I've said before, I didn't like how the front end of the 98+ looks so Crystleresque... If only they'd have kept it the same I might've bought a 2002 instead of a '97. I'm certainly not complaining 'bout my sexay '97 though [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
              Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

they obviously don't know anything about the drivetrain, or model history. number one, why the hell would the SS be the "middle" model, and the Z/28 the "top" model? it's never been that way. second, why have a 5.3-liter v8? the only one GM has at the moment is the 5.3L from the SSR, which is weaker than the LS1. it never makes sense to make a car WEAKER. i'd say go with the LS1 in the Z/28, and the LS2 in the SS. the RS could get.....4.3L v6? :D

and they won't style it like the first gens, Lutz has said that no GM vehicles will follow that trend because most "retro" vehicles aren't selling well (ford thunderbird, VW beetle, PT cruiser, etc.)
                \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317:
                  the RS could get.....4.3L v6? :D

i really can't see a 4500 rpm redline boat anchor V6 in an f-body.

Comment

im not a big fan of rettro styling myself. i would rather see something nice and sleek. and i agree they should make it the ls1 instead of the 327. the 4.3 would be good for a v6 if they made it better.
                    97 black Camaro A4<br />mods: flowmaster 80 series muffler, SLP cai

Comment

You don't think Popular Hot Rodding knows about the F-body??? lol. And it's not that suprising to see talk of a 5.3L instead of the 5.7L...look at the suburbans, they quit putting the 5.7L in them too, and they need the power alot more than an F-body does. And in any given year that they put an LS2 in a vehicle, there likely will not be a "base" model that gets the LS1. It'll be all or none, with the exception of a V6 model.
                      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Originally posted by skorpion317:
                        they obviously don't know anything about the drivetrain, or model history. number one, why the hell would the SS be the "middle" model, and the Z/28 the "top" model? it's never been that way. second, why have a 5.3-liter v8? the only one GM has at the moment is the 5.3L from the SSR, which is weaker than the LS1. it never makes sense to make a car WEAKER. i'd say go with the LS1 in the Z/28, and the LS2 in the SS. the RS could get.....4.3L v6? :D

Read up a little bit on your Camaro history... The Z28 didn't come out till '69, and it was factory built to run in the Trans Am. It handled better, sat lower, actually had the 302 standard.

Yeah, the 5.3L is weak alright... Who said it would be the same 5.3 that is out now? All the 5.3L is, is a destroked, Iron block LS1. So, you take an LS1 block, keep the 5.3L stroke, but give it the rest of the LS1 goodies, heck even an LS6 cam, and it'll run with the LS1 of old...

A base model performance car is made with slight performance in mind, but more over practicality. 16/24 mpg (4.3L) is NOT practical. BUT, the L36/L32 (series III) would be a great option, I think the auto L32 gets like 31 or 32? mpg in the GP GT.
                        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X