How do you figure out the sequence of plug wires to distributor? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you figure out the sequence of plug wires to distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you figure out the sequence of plug wires to distributor?

I was working on the starter of my pick up and selonoid went kaput on me. It made my engine sputter all over the place. I accidently pulled all the wires from the distributor when I pulled my arm out. I was trying to avoid injuries.

How do I figure out the sequence of these wires?

fyi-I didn't post in the General because it's not F-body related.

Thanks

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

This'll get moved to 'Other Rides'

What kind of truck is it? Your best bet is to just go pick up a Haynes manual for it. If that's not worth it to you, just look at the manual in the store, or ask one of the guys behind the counter.
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

if you have an autozone nearby they can just look it up for you, it's in the computer
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

If all else fails.
        Pull the cap off the distributor. Pull the spark plug from cylinder number 1, put your finger over the hole, and bar the motor over until you feel pressure.
        Then stick the end of an ink pen in there until the piston hits it. That is TDC of #1.
        Where the rotor points to on the cap is where the plug wire to cylinder #1 should go.
        Note which way the rotor turns while you are barring the motor over. That is the direction you will go when putting the rest of the plug wires on. Put them all on in the firing order for the vehicle.
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

If the dist. isn't marked with which post is for cyl 1, then you'll have to re-time it from TDC #1 Compression.

First thing you gotta do is hand-crank the engine w/ a torque wrench or breaker bar until the #1 cyl is at TDC of the compression stroke (not the exhaust stroke). Then you pull the distributor cap and find the post that the rotor is pointing closest to. Run the wire from that post to Cyl 1.

Then, you use google or a repair manual to dertimine the firing order for the particular engine. Once you have that, you go around the distributor in clockwise (or counter -depending on which engine you have) and follow the firing order. So if your order is:
          1-8-4-6-5-3-7-2 you would route the next wire clockwise from #1 on the dist to cyl #8, then the next to cyl 4, then to 6, and so on.

Once you have them in place, test fire the engine... if it wont start, and it spits & pops thru the carb & exhaust, you timed it for TDC on the Exhaust stroke and you have to start all over (or pull the distributor and turn it 180 degrees). If it' starts, you then fine tune it w/ a timing light and turning the distributor slightly.

Good luck!

Mike

[ November 18, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: MTMike ]
          <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

^^^^ that's 50% correct, as I did that when I set the distributor on teh 3.4 when I got it running. Turned out it ws 180* off. So if it runs like crap/rough, pullit out & rotate 180%
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to get another phone
              by ssms5411
              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
              1 week ago
            • ssms5411
              Leaking front cover
              by ssms5411
              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
              2 weeks ago
            • transamtom1
              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
              by transamtom1
              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X