Thinking about putting AC in the garage - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about putting AC in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about putting AC in the garage

I live in the desert where temps can go as high as 120*. When it's that hot it's 130* in the garage, which makes it hard to work inside. Same thing too when it's cold. I was thinking about a portable AC unit. Have any of you guys ever done that?

When I had a garage in Phoenix, I bought a 12k portable unit on wheels, really didn’t have time to find out if it worked well or not. But I knew someone with a window unit in their 3 car garage and it worked well. Just turn it on a couple of hours before working and your good.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My uncle uses a portable ac unit in his cottage and says it works really well. If it makes it easier to work I say go for it.

Is your garage insulated though? If not you will probably have a hard time fighting the heat with the unit...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I wish I could do a window unit.

I don't think it's insulated. Looking at the past pics from the previous owners, which I think 4 people have owned this house before, the dry wall was just added.

Anyway, I need to look around for a portable AC.

Comment

At least the drywall will help a little even if it's not the best insulation. The air pocket helps. I've heard bubble wrap can be effective in a pinch, even better if covered with a layer of aluminum foil (at the very least it will stop the aliens reading your OBDII codes :) ).
          Places like Sam's club and even Walmart have some reasonable and affordable stand-alone units at this time of year, but I don't know what's available in your neck of the woods.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to go to Walmart super store this week to see what they have. Home Depot has a good one, but I'll shop around some more.

Comment

Is the drywall already finished? If not, take it down and add insulation and then put it back up.

You could always try making your own AC setup like this too lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X