It is illegal to work on your car in California? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is illegal to work on your car in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is illegal to work on your car in California?

I read this today California bans working on cars, and I have no idea how true it is. Any California folk want to chime in?

If it is true you almost wonder if they are going to make it illegal to breathe over there soon...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Im glad I don't live in California.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It's only in Sacramento County and is intended to stop people from running a car repair shop out of their house, and cars on blocks or jacks that sit for months in a driveway because it's a "project".
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
        It's only in Sacramento County and is intended to stop people from running a car repair shop out of their house, and cars on blocks or jacks that sit for months in a driveway because it's a "project".
        I get it, but there is a difference between running a repair shop and what you do to your own vehicle on your own property. I think they have taken it too far

Comment

So what did they "take too far"? What do you think you can't do to YOUR OWN car?

Raven

Comment

Yup, it looks like it's true, but funny thing I just came from there and did my wife's car at my parent's front yard. I wanted to see if anyone is going to report me

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
              So what did they "take too far"? What do you think you can't do to YOUR OWN car?
              I read, and I don’t know how true it is that you can’t have anything more than basic tools in your garage. I am not sure if the variety of air tools, torque wrenches, torches, spring compressors, compression testers etc that I have would be considered “basic”

I had also read that you can do basic things like tune ups but not engine work. So I understand that as no more cam swap, turbo/supercharger build, no header swap etc etc.

Now I could be wrong, but that is what I understand it to be. Which if that is the case it sucks.

I understand them not wanting someone to run a 24-7 mechanic shop in their garage. I also think you can combat the “sight” of people have cars on jack-stands on their driveway by imposing a 14 day by-law that prevents you from having your car on stands in an open driveway for more than 14 days.

Comment

http://www.code-enforcement.saccount...utorepair.aspx

Raven

Comment

Right- so the axle bearing replacement I am working on today would not constitute as a minor repair as I am disassembling my axle.

Also, most of my tools more than likely would not “commonly” be found in a residence. Most folks I know have a few screw drivers, a drill and maybe a socket set.

I think it is overly excessive to impose that and I know I would be up in arms if they did that where I live.

Comment

I think its the associations getting involved too much. Their making my brother paint his outside of his garage because they say its faded, looks fine to me but they have too much power these days. Hes fighting it so should be a interesting to see if they actually can make him paint it. Other stuff like trimming bushes I can see. And coming from a neighborhood with no associations where they park cars in the front lawn and have trashy houses I can see where the associations are needed. I think they go too far sometimes.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X