How hard is it to replace hydraulic lifters - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to replace hydraulic lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to replace hydraulic lifters

My suv which has 210k on started knocking really loud yesterday. Loud enough to wake the neighbors up. It's definitely coming from the engine.

Have any of you ever replaced it.

What SUV? And what makes you believe replacing the hydraulic lifters is the fix and that you don’t have a bad bearing?

Have you checked on http://www.car-part.com to see how much a junkyard replacement motor would be - may be less of a headache and you can likely get something with much lower mileage

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Check your wires - I had a critter eat two plug wires - and I thought the engine was going to come up through the hood!
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Mike- it's my daily driver Hyundai santa fe. It has the same engine as the Mitsubishi Gallant. Pretty sure it's not the bearings because the noise os coming from the top. I will find out this week if that's truly the problem, which I hope so. I don't want anything nightmarish.

Robert- plugs seems ok, but i will double check.
        Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 04-14-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

If it is your lifters, try some seafoam suppose to work well. I hope its minor. Good luck.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I just dound out it was the AC compressor has siezed up. I pulled the belt and listened to the engine and it sounded fine, but when I went thru the pulley accessories the AC one was stiff.

Comment

Good to hear.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sounds like a better problem to solve lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Sucks though I paid over 1400 to have the compressor, dryer, and condenser installed.

Comment

Damm, thats alot but probably needed.

Comment

Unfortunately it was needed. Pieces of metal went into the system and it has to be replaced.

Comment

That sucks, did you ever get the fuel pump in on the bird?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X