Something I noticed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I noticed...

I've been in the car hobby for sometime now. Mostly 60's muscle cars. I'm noticing a loss of participation at cruise-in events and car shows. I'm losing many friends due to death or health issues.
    I'm hoping this life style of the car culture prevails into the future. I chose this hobby over drugs, it nearly ruined my life. The people I've met have become the best of friends. I'm coming close to retirement but plan to have at least one older car in the garage to keep me occupied. If anyone can help any kid or friend trying to get involved no matter what type of car it is , try and encourage them to pursue this hobby. At least they are involved doing something good for themselves and learning how to survive a better life.

My opinion is there are a few reasons the culture is dying out - and these are only my opinion:
    • The EPA has been doing stings over the last number of years specifically targeting race track areas and known areas for car shows. Since car shows consist of both old school muscle and a mix of modded cars it is prime real estate for them to nail guys with emissions violations. They hassle people and people don't want to deal with it. I know when I go to car shows I typically leave my Camaro at home and take my truck.
    • The young punks who have to run around and do burn outs and street race terrorizing the parking lot and roadways in and around the car shows spark police attention. Residents call and complain and Law enforcement is going to take action. The older crowd - or at least those of us who are a lot more mature about car shows and just want to go there to have a coffee and shoot the shit about cars don't want to be involved in the b.s - so I know myself I have a small group I will meet with and these are guys I've known my whole life.
    • New people who are wanting to go to car shows are shy and don't know how / where to go. Facebook these days has groups that shoot the shit from an online perspective - Facebook has taken many guys off the forum as it is easier to pop open an app then go to a web page. Except guys talk trash and just troll - so, people don't want to feel like they won't fit in to going to shows to be around people like that (despite those people likely arent there either). From the shy perspective - unless I can find someone to go to a car show with, I am not the type of personality to run out and show up to what can be an intimidating territory. Sure I know my stuff, sure I like to talk - but I don't know anyone there and car shows I have been to with buddies people seem to be clicky - either you know them or you won't and they aren't that interested in talking to people they don't know. The few car shows around here I've been to I have tried to ask about some old school 60's Transam's, Camaro's, 80's Blazers... the guys are reluctant to tell you anything about the cars since they don't you. It's shitty having to pull teeth just to want to learn what was done to a car at a car show. Not the best environment to make friends.
    I found when I was younger and went to car shows they were a more welcoming vibe - now it seems to be less old school cars, more new BMW's and Euro cars...guys with money but don't really want to performance mod it but they are snobby about it. There is just less appreciation overall for the whole hobby.

If you look around your car shows / meets I bet you notice less older guys (because of sickness and death etc) and younger folks just not getting involved.

Also car companies I feel are discouraging people from changing things on the cars. They offer more performance, better audio, navigation etc etc - a lot of stuff the aftermarket companies were pushing for cars (not the 60's cars, but just think about our 4th gens). Less people are building cars as a result.

I could be wrong about all of the above - but it's my opinion based on what I see around here.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The culture where I live is doing well. I do have to admit that 95 percent of them are up their in age. A few in their 20s. A lot of young people are into imports, new mustang, Camaro and Challenger. They don't bother anymore with car clubs because they usually don't hold on to their cars. They sell them for a newer model with more hp.
      Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 01-08-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

That's true - there is a new breed of people who only want the newest vehicles - need to sell a 2015 to get a 2019 and in 2021 it'll be another.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
          Hello everyone!
          by Andy H
          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
          2 weeks ago
        • 3.4 slow to go
          hey there strangers!
          by 3.4 slow to go
          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
          2 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          Had to get another phone
          by ssms5411
          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X