Dexcool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexcool

Is there anything better than Dexcool. I had a 2003 Grand Prix with a 3.8. I traded that in for a VW for my wife.

I actually bought that car for 1800. It had 98k on it but it didn't take long till the head gasket blew. It was constantly overheating and the coolant keeps disappearing.

I wanted to work on it, but living in an apartment is a no can do. When I flush that car the previous owner used water only. That's probably why the gasket didn't hold very long.

It made me think what A mechanic once told me a long time ago that this is a common problem with the 3800 series. He thinks dexcool is insufficient.

I usually add redline water cooler, with the Dexcool. Is there anything else that's even better.
    Attached Files

I use prestone 50/50 mix and its been great in the Camaro . I have dexcool in the truck and at 100,000 miles plan on flushing it and refilling with dexcool. I think people dont flush them and the dexcool gunks up on them.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

People don't think of coolant as high-performance - but Dexcool is - and that's the problem. It is a heat transfer fluid. NEVER use tap water - NEVER use water - PERIOD. Only use the pre-mix 50/50 - preferably Prestone. And change it - like oil.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
        People don't think of coolant as high-performance - but Dexcool is - and that's the problem. It is a heat transfer fluid. NEVER use tap water - NEVER use water - PERIOD. Only use the pre-mix 50/50 - preferably Prestone. And change it - like oil.
        Yeah, the previous owner did. Didn't know till I used a flush system and saw all that rusty gunk.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          I use prestone 50/50 mix and its been great in the Camaro . I have dexcool in the truck and at 100,000 miles plan on flushing it and refilling with dexcool. I think people dont flush them and the dexcool gunks up on them.
          That's the only thing I use on my Firebird. Sometimes I would use distill water, dexcool and red line water wetter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            3 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X