Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hp goal question

Originally posted by 1998silverbird View Post

All this talk really makes me miss my car!! Thanks guys. Gosh darn V6ers!!
    well when you have whent threw it and know what to spend money on and what not to you cant help but wont to hear everything

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8lcoty View Post
      haha idk maybe with a tune

I was just thinking man your doing a blower.. If you do a 4000.00 short block, then heads and cam will probably run you another 2500 with all the parts needed to install, then 1000 or so for suspension, and a blower is 4-5K.. Thats alot!! Might just be worth it to do a stock motor and if it breaks oh well. Your only out 500.00 for a used motor!!
      Jeff ..
      1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
      2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
      1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
      http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

here is where i am at if ima try to do bugget

there is a powedyne kit on here for 2k 100% complete kit

then i will buy a l26 or l67 with low mile 500-600

heads and cam intake 2k to 2.5k

1k suspention

thats only 6k right there and then all i need to worry about is trans and rear end and dyno or hp tune

Comment

what im wanting to do is start with stuff i can use with the things i already have then work the real big add ons till last

1st 2nd 3rd or 4th suspention,trans and rear end,engine,exaust

5th sc kit

6th heads cam intake

7th tune

8th whip some *** till the engine goes

9th replace with another low mile engine
          Last edited by 3.8lcoty; 07-26-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1998silverbird View Post
            So is it possible for a fully stock 3.8 with a blower and supporting fuel mods to make over 400 rwhp?
            i dont see why not. couple turbo guys have been there so i see no reason you couldnt do it with a blower if you wanted to.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
            Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
              i dont see why not. couple turbo guys have been there so i see no reason you couldnt do it with a blower if you wanted to.
              I wasnt sure.. My stock 3.8 made 313 rwhp on the bottle which is like 350 hp @ the flywheel. That motor was a junkyard motor with unknown miles and lasted 2 yrs and 68 bottles of N20.
              Jeff ..

Comment

what compression should i run

Comment

Low Compression for boost.. I think stock is 9.8:1 if I remember correctly. Thats pretty low already and why you can probably make over 400rwhp on a stock motor. I was looking @ that 8.0:1 short block that Intense has and man I bet that thing could handle any amount of boost!!

I am not a Supercharger guy but I think the lower compression alows you to run more boost @ a lower octane. In a stock 3.8 with the 9.8:1 you could probably run 20 psi of boost but would need race fuel were as if you had 8.0:1 compression you might be able to run that same 20psi but still be on 93 octane!! Dont quote me on that. Thats just my understanding. The Higher compression the more timing you have to take out during a tune to help prevent Detonation along with higher grade octane and with less compression the more timing the motor can take and more efficient I guess it will run.
                  Last edited by 1998silverbird; 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM.
                  Jeff ..

Comment

i wonder if i bought that intense short block if it could handle 500+ hp or i might look at zzp and email them and see how much the would charge to assemble me a long block with forged pistons and xp hot cam with all i need to run the cam.

Comment

and which in your option would be better a turbo or supercharger

Comment

Turbo's are more efficient then Superchargers. My opinion is you cant go wrong with either but if I had to choose I like the whistle from the supercharger better then the jet sound of the turbo. The fact is you will get more power from 10 psi of boost from a turbo vrs 10 Psi of boost from a Supercharger as long as they are both comparable in size. It takes power to spin a supercharger but with a turbo it runs on your exhaust system.

The way I was told back in the day is that if you put a supercharger on your stock motor which factory is 200hp @ the flywheel. It will take 10% of power to spin that charger. Right off the bat your 200hp motor just went down to 180hp. The flip side is that for every lb of boost its around 10-15hp gain. If you are pushing 15lbs of boost that 180hp motor now is making 350hp or more. Now certain superchargers are more efficiant then others which is why Powerdyne I guess has such a bad wrap. I guess it takes more power to turn a Powerdyne then say a Procharger. Were it might cost you 10% power to turn a Powerdyne it might only cost you 8% of power to turn a procharger. Superchargers also use belts which tend to break, Slip, ect. I am not saying they all do its just that it has a chance.

Turbo does the same except there is no 10% power loss. You will still have a 200hp motor to start with instead of a 180hp motor.. There is no belts to worry about. Thing is you will really need to run a intercooler due to the exhaust heat, and you will have to build your exhaust around the turbo were as a supercharger you can use what every exhaust you want.

If I am not telling facts then please someone jump in and correct me.
                        Jeff ..

Comment

yeah the only down side for me for a turbo is all the exhaust piping and a super charger is basically a plug and play

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X