Pyle Brothers Differential Shop Review (Baytown, TX) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pyle Brothers Differential Shop Review (Baytown, TX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyle Brothers Differential Shop Review (Baytown, TX)

PREFACE: So last month I took my car to 249 Drivetrain by my house to get my howling diff fixed and install 3.73's. This was a total failure. The shop refused to see me, honor their warranty or deal with the problem at all. They failed to properly set the crush sleeve and it caused the pinion to come loose and destroy the new gear set in a short couple of hundred miles. That was $800 wasted :-(.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pyle Brothers review:

This differential shop is by far the most professional I've been to in Houston. In fact it's probably the most professional auto shop I've been to period. Fancy dealers and expensive performance shops may look cooler, but the minute you step into the Pyle Brothers shop you can tell it's a place where people get things done and don't waste time. Pyle Brothers demonstrates exemplary customer service, organization, appointment scheduling, and attitude. They stick to scheduled appointments and their turnaround time is typically same day as your appointment unless there are problems or it's a very large task. The scope of their work ranges from high performance race cars to off road vehicles. Their staff is approachable, not arrogant, and willing to answer questions. They always remained courteous, mature and a pleasure to deal with. No one tried to shove their opinions about my car down my throat like young guys will do at other performance oriented shops. The mechanic that serviced my Camaro was very thorough. He even mentioned that I need new front hubs after he gave the car back to me. I've never seen this kind of professionalism even at major dealers. Their prices are VERY fair. They aren't quite as cheap as no-name hole in the wall shops, but the few extra bucks you spend will be worth it when you aren't waiting weeks to get work done by amateurs.

For my Camaro they installed: GM 3.73 gears, rebuild kit (bearings, seals, etc..), shims, and the driver's side axle. Mechanically the work they did seems great so far. However it's only been about 50 miles so I won't have a full review yet. I will follow up after a couple of thousand miles by editing this review as necessary. If their mechanics are as professional as their office staff I'm absolutely positive there won't be any issues.
    sigpic

Re: Pyle Brothers Differential Shop Review (Baytown, TX)

Excellant that you found a shop that could take care of you, and hopefully not treat you like the first place you went to... BUT

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
    So last month I took my car to 249 Drivetrain by my house to get my howling diff fixed and install 3.73's. This was a total failure. The shop refused to see me, honor their warranty or deal with the problem at all. They failed to properly set the crush sleeve and it caused the pinion to come loose and destroy the new gear set in a short couple of hundred miles. That was $800 wasted :-(.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ......... Theres gotta be more to this story.

Or you're just a huge pussy and backed down... No way am I paying a professional shop $800 to install a gear set, having it installed wrong and just walking away from it.

Burn the place down if you have to, have the last word.
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

& Im glad I have a shop around here that installs gears for crazy cheap, they are a performance diesel shop, build drag cars and offroad vehicles..

I had 5.38 gears installed in my dana 60's under my jeep for $1,000 (including gears)
      *Matt

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
        Theres gotta be more to this story.

Or you're just a huge pussy and backed down... No way am I paying a professional shop $800 to install a gear set, having it installed wrong and just walking away from it.

Burn the place down if you have to, have the last word.
        249 Drivetrain was the shop that did my gears and rebuild originally. They were recommended to me by a friend. The shop wasn't very professional, it's like two guys in a small shop with a couple of lifts. The car seemed fine for the first couple of drives. Then started howling again and dripping stains in the garage. I drove it back to the shop because they offered a warranty, but they wouldn't look at it because they were "too busy". They wouldn't even let me leave my car there. I had to drive home with the rear howling. The shop owner told me to bring the car in on Monday (in a week) and he will have time then. I wasn't too happy about it, but a week wasn't too bad. A week later I called before I drove out and was told they're busy and that I need to wait another week... and so on... and so on... Basically I got ripped off for $800.

What do you want me to do though? Assault the guy and then have him work on my car again and **** it up worse and go to jail? Assault the guy and take the money back and go to jail? Either way things will just get worse. I could take him to small claims, but that's about all I can really do. Don't get me wrong $800 is a a lot of money to waste, but it's not worth jail time. That guy won't get any good reviews from me. If he keeps robbing people he will eventually lose his business. As for me, $800 isn't **** compared to the money I'd miss out on each month I'm in jail.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I wasnt serious about burning the place down.... and dont think you should assault him.

But you need to stand up for yourself, get your money back and make it an inconvience for him... Small Claims Court

You were justified by taking your vehicle somewhere else, they obviously couldnt do the job right the first time, save all your paperwork from the original install, and the second install.

Hire a lawyer, sue him to get your money back.. including lawyer fee's and time off work etc..

When **** like this happens, and hes forced to pay you back... chances are hes not going to do it again to another customer
          *Matt

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
            Well, I wasnt serious about burning the place down.... and dont think you should assault him.

But you need to stand up for yourself, get your money back and make it an inconvience for him... Small Claims Court

You were justified by taking your vehicle somewhere else, they obviously couldnt do the job right the first time, save all your paperwork from the original install, and the second install.

Hire a lawyer, sue him to get your money back.. including lawyer fee's and time off work etc..

When **** like this happens, and hes forced to pay you back... chances are hes not going to do it again to another customer
            This exactly.

Someone needs to put them in the right place, & you're in the perfect position to do so.

What was your friends recommendation exactly?
            Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
            1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
            1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
            2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

You don't need a lawyer for small claims. I don't think you can even sue for legal fees in small claims in Houston. In a civil suit sure. I'm sending him a letter demanding the money back within 30 days or I'll have him served. I doubt it will keep him from doing it to other people. $800 bucks isn't much of a loss either way. If he keeps $800 from 9/10 people he ****s over that's still a lot of profit after he pays for parts :P.

What was your friends recommendation exactly?
              Friend said the shop was really good and inexpensive. Price wise 249 drivetrain charged me more for less work than Pyle Brothers, so they aren't inexpensive for our cars any way.

Somehow they do gears for jeeps for $950 (both diffs) which reputable shops around town do for $1500-2000 (depending on diff/gears/carriers). From some research on other forums it looks as though 249 drivetrain doesn't use rebuild kits (or install kits) and re-use stock parts (bolts, bearings, seals, shims, etc..) to cut corners. I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense. How else could they charge so little for 2 diffs? They would need double of each part for both diffs to do a proper rebuild.

My friend really likes to be cheap with his spending on these things. I've seen him use gas station mechanic shops before. Hes a really smart guy, but I think he's really too concerned with getting a cheap deal rather than a good deal sometimes. This was definitely a bad deal for me. I should have just went to Pyle Brothers to begin with, that's where all the guys that go to the track were telling me to go. I get burned virtually every time I try to save money. I need to just remember to do my own work if I'm trying to save money or just pay a reputable shop (not dealer) to do the work instead.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
                . I'm sending him a letter demanding the money back within 30 days or I'll have him served.
                Good for you :tup:
                *Matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X