Which car to buy as daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which car to buy as daily driver?

I'd go with the G8 for a daily driver. It's comfortable and powerful but not over the top so you can fly under the radar. A C6 or Mercedes will get you noticed by both the public and the police.

Mercedes is expensive to maintain and is undependable. My boss has leased 3 new Mercedes in the past 5 years, and each one of them had problems that had to be fixed under warranty. Twice he was left stranded due to electrical gremlins, so I would never recommend a Mercedes as a daily driver.
    2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
      Stay as far away as possible from out of warranty german cars, or buy a GOOD warranty. My BMW had plenty of little **** go wrong, but it was all covered with minimal hassle. In that range, I'd look pretty seriously at the S5 Audi. You look like a broke **** in a previous gen Merc, which is why the values tank. C6's are fun, but don't relay a really professional image. I never got behind the styling of a G8, and that's sayin something since I had an 06 GTO.
      i dont know if youd look like a broke ***, i think it shows you've got taste in a classier car, id much rather spend $22,000 on a Mercedes than a honda Accord. German cars though can be an absolute nightmare when it comes to reliability and costs of repair though.

Originally posted by crazygrrrl View Post
      I'd go with the G8 for a daily driver. It's comfortable and powerful but not over the top so you can fly under the radar. A C6 or Mercedes will get you noticed by both the public and the police.

Mercedes is expensive to maintain and is undependable. My boss has leased 3 new Mercedes in the past 5 years, and each one of them had problems that had to be fixed under warranty. Twice he was left stranded due to electrical gremlins, so I would never recommend a Mercedes as a daily driver.
      As much as i love the benz, I agree, they are undependable if you get unlucky. My best friends gf has a 2003 ML suv, and its been a nitemare of a car in problems until it was fixed, several thousands of dollars later it runs like a great new car....and i even almost totalled it while drifting it in the snow hahahah

get a bmw 5 series, or even better...what about a newer Acura TL, RL, or TSX?
      Robby
      2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
      sigpic

Comment

@crazygrrrl

The G8 is definitely attractive because it's so much car for $25k. I'm worried about the looks and quality a bit though. I will be test driving one soon. I've never actually driven a G8, you don't see that many of them around for some reason.

I'm really not worried about the police in terms of speeding. Any car I get is going to have laser jammers and a valentine 1 rd setup like my current car does. It's not 100% bullet proof, but I haven't had a ticket since I got that setup and I've had numerous >90mph laser encounters with police. I slammed my brakes, **** my pants, killed the jammer and avoided a ticket.

@RPDRed6

Yea.. I'm thinking the S-Class is probably out. I don't think I can afford one with a meaningful warranty without hurting my finances too much. The whole reason I'm even doing this purchase this year is because I did well enough that I won't notice the extra spending compared to where I was on January 1st, a new enough s-class will kill that for me.

I've considered the 5 series, but its just so damn ugly. Wtf happened BMW? It's just some car now... Nothing special or interesting. The Acuras are out for being FWD. Lexus may be something to consider but they suffer hard in the looks department.
        sigpic

Comment

I voted for a G8 more practical for everyday use.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I voted G8... but personally... I'd get a normal DD, and save the extra money for fun stuff. A DD doesn't have to be a tan camry with beige interior but it also doesn't have to be anything on that list.

Personally, something lor ike a Fusion, G6, maybe a mazday, something for less then $15k... Hell if it has to be "cool" an '05+ GT

Comment

If could 've afforded it, I would've gotten a G8GT over my CTS
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

The C6.

Comment

Corvette followed closely by G8 are my choices. Not a chance in hell for the Mercedes things.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

FWIW, I was just out with a buddy of mine on Saturday night. He has a previous gen SL55 AMG. It just cost him around a grand to do front brakes himself. Parts are hella pricey.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X