help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me out

I'm taking the camaro I just finished rebuilding on a rhode trip to NJ and then RI this week as of monday. (smart eh?)...I'm just thinking in the worst case scenario here, but do you guys have places (other than uhaul) that rent out trucks with a hitch?...Im thinking that if I break down, I'll just have it towed to the nearest rental place and rent a truck/trailor and tow it back myself...

I'm looking for something preferably with unlimited mileage, I'll be like 500 miles from home if something does happen...or somewhere inbetween (knock on wood it doesn't)...just looking to be prepared if it does...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: help me out

i know that all uhaul trailers are unlitmied miles..but if ur renting one of their trucks as well to haul it...its gunna cost ya a pretty penny. I think the smallest truck (10foot box truck or cargo van) is $20 a day and $0.89 a mile

Comment

Yeah, good luck with that plan. This is exactly why I bought my own truck and trailer, it's significantly more cost effective. Very few places will rent you a truck to tow with, and the places that will, rape you.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

hmm...alright...I guess the best thing to do if something happens is tow it to a car rental place...drive back home...pick up a truck...rent a trailor/dolly, and drag her back.

Comment

Or rent a car for a couple days to make the trip. Not worth the hassle if something goes wrong.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

was looking into it, except being 23 they want an extra 50$ per day, and Im down there this monday the 21-28th...cost a fortune...probably as much as if something goes wrong...so f'it I'm gunna enjoy my car while I can, I can't keep worrying about if somethings going to happen.

Honestly everything I have read to this point says it shouldnt even be running right now and shoulda grenaded at startup...if its gunna break again, its gunna break regardless...and when it does its bound to be at a ****ty time...i'm through worrying...I just want to enjoy the f'n thing now.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              was looking into it, except being 23 they want an extra 50$ per day, and Im down there this monday the 21-28th...cost a fortune...probably as much as if something goes wrong...so f'it I'm gunna enjoy my car while I can, I can't keep worrying about if somethings going to happen.

Honestly everything I have read to this point says it shouldnt even be running right now and shoulda grenaded at startup...if its gunna break again, its gunna break regardless...and when it does its bound to be at a ****ty time...i'm through worrying...I just want to enjoy the f'n thing now.
              The risk involved with modding a car. Learn to live with it. This is why my Firebird sits as is, because its my DD right now. Simply can't afford to NOT have a vehicle at any point in time, and its why it sits with a bashed taillight and a crooked hatch.
              1995 Pontiac Firebird
              2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Penske will rent you a 26ft truck with an attached dolly for your vehicle but there is a minor glitch about what type of vehicle you want to load on all four wheels. Easy to fix if you browse their rental website and you can save 20% if you rent online or show your AAA Card.
                http://www.pensketruckrental.com/moving-truck-rental/

For example I helped my friend, who is moving, find a rental. According to the website he typed in 'Camaro', well the website disqualified him and recommended that a front wheel dolly would best be suited for his application. Disappointed, I told him to type in 'Monte Carlo' and lo & behold he got a decent dolly to roll his Camaro safely on and hitched to a nice 26ft truck with AC. I don't know why the Camaro was a problem but we guessed it had to do with front ground effect clearance and liability for damages during the tow.

I am not sure whether you have a Class A CDL or Class B license to operate their 26 ft truck that may or may not have air brakes. A few rental vehicles use them unless they phased them out of the fleet so check on that.

By the way, during your drive towards your destination, take a safety break and tighten the safety straps that hold the tires down every 50 or 75 miles. Potholes are abundant on the highways and will loosen the tie down straps even if your vehicle is safe in park & emergency brake applied. Don't tempt fate with your baby lol. Good luck ;)

Oh yeah, my friend spent a total of $363.00 with insurance from CT to Lake Erie, PA. That expense qualifies for a tax deduction because he is relocating for a job.
                Last edited by 96RS Alex; 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM. Reason: Helping my fellow V6 community :)
                Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

I rented a Uhaul recently going 1800 miles, a trailer(all 4 wheels off the ground) ran me $420USD now the 18ft moving truck I rented with it ran another $985USD

Comment

Did you make it back?

Comment

wow lol...alright I'll keep that all in mind...just took it 3 hours each way to the cottage and she drove beautifully (knock on wood)...so hopefully she's good for the morning!

Comment

made the 7 hour trek to Jersey...then the 4 hour hike to RI, then the 7 hour trek back home without a hiccup (except the brake line I lost on the way to nj lol) I think it's safe to say she's good to go (knock on wood)

on a side note...any spot me anywhere? I saw a couple of camaros around...some v6/v8s

extra side note...you guys need to figure out how to build roads...damn potholes everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          extra side note...you guys need to figure out how to build roads...damn potholes everywhere...
                          Are you surprised? We had a pothole problem during the Daytona 500 last year. Stalled the race for nearly 3 hours. We put man on the moon 40 years ago, but I'll be damned if we conquer the mysteries of asphalt in my lifetime! IT'S BLACK MAGIC I SAY!
                          sigpic

Comment

Good to hear you made it alright, what was your final clearance on your heads again .30?
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

somewhere between 30-40 thou lol...I talked to LNorton about his cam and clearances to...his cam is bigger than mine and with everything they have done he seems to have plenty of clearance (which makes me think I did something wrong)...anyways, he seems to think I should be fine...he said the only time they had a problem is when they lost 2 rod bearings the intake valves made slight contact...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                6 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X