Anyone here into RC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here into RC?

I recently picked up RC as a hobby since I don't really have the space to work on my cars anymore and this is a lot cheaper. I started out with a cheap nitro truck with a 2 speed but kept breaking it so I decided to get something quieter and tougher. I ended up with a Traxxas Slash 4x4. It's a lot more fun and is tough as nails vs. the nitro. I like the electric a lot more and I've started to mod it a bit. I haven't measured the speed yet, but based on what I've read and videos I've seen it should do about 50 on stock gearing and a bit over 60 with my other pinion gear on my lipo. I started racing with the local club about a month ago and really enjoying it; placed 2nd last meet in short course on an indoor carpet track.

Here's a stock photo of the nitro I have:

And here's a shot of my slash with the new body I painted yesterday:

Anyone else?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Anyone here into RC?

i used to be in big. i had 2 nitro traxxas rustlers. one was almost stock with just street wheels on it and had a 3.3 instead of the 2.5 from the factory. the other was a pure monster that was pretty much pointless. i had a losi 427 that i had to cut the lower part to fit. at about 60 it would pull the front wheels and flip.

since im over seas i am looking into another stadium truck. i just cant do electric, charging batteries just isnt my thing.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I love RC :D Lets see, Electric Baja Bug and dune buggy, both 4x4 and built from kits, a Traxxas nitro stadium truck, and a couple of nitro airplanes. I love the nitro stadium truck the best. The noise, the smoke, the drifting, it's all so much more fun than electric in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
        i used to be in big. i had 2 nitro traxxas rustlers. one was almost stock with just street wheels on it and had a 3.3 instead of the 2.5 from the factory. the other was a pure monster that was pretty much pointless. i had a losi 427 that i had to cut the lower part to fit. at about 60 it would pull the front wheels and flip.

since im over seas i am looking into another stadium truck. i just cant do electric, charging batteries just isnt my thing.
        Yeah, this one gets up to what I assume is about 50mph and then catches air under the body and does a back flip. I'd need to either remove the body or do a bit or aero mods to get it to top speed. Charging only takes 45-90 minutes depending on the battery so I don't mind it too much.

I really did like the nitro and I'm sure if I had a higher quality one I probably wouldn't have bought the electric at all because the sounds and smells are pretty awesome, but I can run my slash 4x4 indoors and at night without problem so I do like the electric. I love the electric torque too. At just about any speed under 25 if I gun it, it will either spin all four, or, if there is enough traction, wheelie. I'm sure it was just my engine, but the nitro didn't have much kick at all off the line.

You guys have any pictures?
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I used to be big into them too. I started off with an E-Maxx, then got a nitro Stampede and an HPI RS4. Sold the E-Maxx and got a T-Maxx. Then I sold that and am left with the RS4, which I want to get rid of (any takers? $100 plus shipping...). That thing is damn fast though. It smoked my friend's 3.3 4Tec.

Comment

Ive recently got into RC a little, Bought a Losi Nightkrawler a few months back, already started modding it.
            *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I have a gas powered dune-buggy like RC car. It needs work right now and I just haven't had time/money to fix it.

the thing had enough power to ride a wheelie though.

Comment

Where do you run it, Matt? I've been interested in getting a crawler but I don't know if I'd find enough places to run it.

I think if I did get one though, I'd probably do something like the Summit that is a little more balanced at the expense of some crawling capabilities.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I got an Erevo Brushless Edition at a Duratrax Evader with a Mamba Max 5700 setup in it. I love the both of them, I have my stadium truck setup for street with street tires a low suspension setup and a digital hitec high speed metal gear servo. I have also modded the ERBE with a single metal gear Hitec high torque coreless digital servo as well and use a Spektrum Dx 3.0 for the both of them.

I really hate the Spektrum radio and wish now I would have spent the money on a comparable futaba 2.4ghz radio because this stupid spektrum has no range whatsoever when alot of other radios are in range.

Here are some pics...

ED - PS Dont mind the carpet, my room is my work area for all my hobbies so it can get a bit messy.

Comment

I bet that Revo is a lot of fun! I have a buddy with a 1/16 erevo and another with a revo 3.3 that he converted to electric. I love that they have such a short wheelbase vs. width. Makes for some fun stunts.

I have only heard good things about the spektrum radios and for the price I would hope they'd be good. Too bad you don't like yours though. I am just using the stock 2.4GHz Traxxas Link controller and I haven't had any trouble with range. I'm uncomfortable driving it because it's so small and I can't be precise with depth perception well before it goes out of range.
                    sigpic
                    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I really like the radio itself especially just bashing cuz then I have no problems with it but whenever I am at my local track it glitches alot for some reason.

I do know that Horizon Hobby had a problem with some units and would accept returns for people who were having problems but from what I understand the success rate of the actual testing/repair process was about 50/50, some people would get them back and not have another problem out of them and some units would still do it and others they would find tested just fine so I never bothered trying to get it fixed or warrantied.

One of the days I will just sell it and the two recievers I have and get a futaba 3pm-x like my friend got for his HPI e-Firestorm flux. I loved that radio because it just felt better in my hand than my Spektrum does for some reason even though the menus are a little confusing from what I remember.

As for the stunts, I wowed alot of friends with my ERBE by doing backflips off walls, just drive up them with the factory tires and nail it. The front tires would pull it up the wall and as the rear tires hit the wall the power would just send the rear tires up and over backwards landing completely on all fours perfect. Didn't do that much though for fear of breaking an axle.

Comment

Yep, that's a stunt I remember from my buddies mini revo. Always awesome to watch. Maybe if I took off my bumpers and body I could do it with mine! :P
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Had one years ago, it was a lot of fun. Don't recall the specifics but ended up cooking the motor because I leaned it out. That was after I replaced almost every suspension component with upgrades because the factory plastic didn't last long with the abuse it got. Would love to get into it again. Maybe later this year but it would have to be a monster truck or something nasty and big.
                          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Whats really crazy is the ERBE on 6 cell LiPo. I only run 4 cell LiPo and thats plenty enough power for me, but 6 cell LiPo is insane. This 12 pound monster will do standing backflips with that kind of voltage but with all that horsepower its tough on mechanical components and the extra voltage is hard on the ESC.

Comment

Yeah, my friend with the electric converted Revo 3.3 runs 6s and it will do backflips at speeds of probably 30mph or more. It has insane traction, too. It's hard enough to keep mine planted on 3s but his is just ridiculous.
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X