No more chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more chevy

The highly paid government managers at Government Motors have just come up with a brilliant idea - Stop using the name "Chevy" and always use "Chevrolet" instead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/au...s/10chevy.html

BRILLIANT!!!!

Umm ... As of right now, www.chevrolet.com home page reads "Over 1,000 people a day switch to Chevy."

I guess they did not get the memo. :spank::slap:
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Re: No more chevy

ya theyre some smart people

87 Firebird RIP
    96 Camaro RS RIP
    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

I'm studying brand identity, so this change intrigues me... The first thing that comes to mind is "fixing something that isn't broken." Also there are far better ways to promote their brand other than annoying the diehard chevrolet fan by destroying a part of it.

The more I think about it the more idiotic it sounds. 20 years from now if a kid hears the song verse "took my chevy to the levee but the levee was dry" are they gonna look at their dad and ask "hey, what's a chevy?" "Oh, it's a chevrolet, son. GM went through a dumbass marketing phase around 2010."

Like that article says, every successful company has a nickname. And they want to destroy it? Genius.
      sigpic

Comment

For a minute there I thought there were going to axe it like they did with Pontiac. Chevy is GM's cash cow.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
          For a minute there I thought there were going to axe it like they did with Pontiac. Chevy is GM's cash cow.
          ya i thought it was going to say they were going to change the name completely

but still a dumb move

Comment

They're fighting to get away from government control and they waste their time with "Chevy" vs. "Chevrolet"????? Has GM learned nothing the past year and a half? I guess next they will be "General Motors", instead of "GM". 6 of one, half dozen of the other. At the end of the day, do you have something in the market that can outdo the imports? Something that speaks of what we can do and prove it's value? I don't care if it has "Guido's Taco Palace" on the fender. Make it work, make it win.

Comment

The name is probably just one of the few things they still have control over, so in order to not feel worthless they came up with this... lol
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                The name is probably just one of the few things they still have control over, so in order to not feel worthless they came up with this... lol
                Sad but probobly true.... :rolleyes:
                Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
                  Chevy is GM's cash cow.

no, we the people are, thanks to the gun pointed at our head by teh gov'ment.

....But not Chevrolet staff members. A postscript to the memo says a sort of cuss jar - a plastic "Chevy" can - has been placed in the hallway. "Every time someone uses ‘Chevy' rather than Chevrolet," the note said, the employee is expected to put a quarter in the can.......

almost as bad as being fined for saying "plymouth" when it's now dodge.

:rolleyes:
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post
                    The highly paid government managers at Government Motors have just come up with a brilliant idea - Stop using the name "Chevy" and always use "Chevrolet" instead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/au...s/10chevy.html

BRILLIANT!!!!

Umm ... As of right now, www.chevrolet.com home page reads "Over 1,000 people a day switch to Chevy."

I guess they did not get the memo. :spank::slap:

BUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH AHAHA HAHAHAH AHAH PWNED!
                    09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Ok you can stop the panicking,it was an internal memo meant for the white collars.

GM: 'Poorly worded' Chevy memo not meant for fans

NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE AND DETROIT NEWS STAFF REPORTS
                      General Motors today backtracked from a memo discouraging the use of “Chevy” to describe its Chevrolet brand.
                      On Tuesday, GM sent a memo to Chevrolet employees at its headquarters, promoting the importance of "consistency" for the brand, which was the nation's best-selling line of cars and trucks for more than half a century after World War II.
                      But in a statement issued today, General Motors said " 'Chevy' will continue to reflect the enthusiasm of customers and fans."
                      "Today's emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted," it said.
                      "We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products."
                      But the automaker noted that "in global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process."
                      In Tuesday's memo, the automaker asked that "whether you're talking to a dealer, reviewing dealer advertising, or speaking with friends and family, that you communicate our brand as Chevrolet moving forward." It was signed by Alan Batey, vice president for Chevrolet sales and service, and Jim Campbell, the GM division's vice president for marketing.
                      Chevrolet said that "when you look at the most recognized brands throughout the world, such as Coke or Apple for instance, one of the things they all focus on is the consistency of their branding.
                      "Why is this consistency so important? The more consistent a brand becomes, the more prominent and recognizable it is with the consumer."
                      Although the memo cites Coke, it does not note that Coke is shorthand for Coca-Cola -- or that Apple is not commonly used in reference to its products, which are known simply as iPads, iPhones and MacBooks.
                      One expert on branding said GM's effort ran counter to a trend in which corporate names had become more casual. The consultant, Paul Worthington, head of strategy for Wolff Olins, amarketing and branding firm, noted that FedEx had replaced Federal Express, KFC had supplanted Kentucky Fried Chicken and "even RadioShack has evolved into the Shack."
                      Regardless, if Chevrolet plans to puts the Chevy genie back in the bottle, the task could prove harder than climbing out of bankruptcy.
                      If taken to its logical conclusion, Chevrolet would presumably need to ask Jeff Gordon, the four-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion who currently races a Chevrolet Impala, to change the website address -- jeffgordonchevy.com -- for his dealership in Wilmington, N.C.
                      And what about rolling back the popular culture references to Chevy? Elton John, Bob Seger, Motley Crue and the Beastie Boys have all sung about Chevy, and hip-hop artists rap about "Chevy Ridin' High" or "Ridin' in My Chevy."
                      Worthington, the branding expert, said Chevrolet seemed unclear what the brand stood for. But ultimately, he said, consumers "will call you whatever they want to call you."
                      But not Chevrolet staff members. A postscript to the memo says a sort of cuss jar -- a plastic "Chevy" can -- has been situated in the hallway.
                      "Every time someone uses 'Chevy' rather than Chevrolet," the note said, the employee is expected to put a quarter in the can.

Comment

That doesn't matter cause I'm still going to call my car a GM.:banana:

I've never refered to the car as a chevy. :D

Comment

Mine is an F'ing Pontiac, can I refer to it as the rolling dead now?
                          1995 Pontiac Firebird
                          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Pontiac is not even part of GM anymore. Pontiac legally is a division of Liquidation Motors Co.
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to get another phone
                              by ssms5411
                              Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                              1 week ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Leaking front cover
                              by ssms5411
                              So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • transamtom1
                              Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                              by transamtom1
                              Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X