New to the forum. Is the car im interested in worth buying? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the forum. Is the car im interested in worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum. Is the car im interested in worth buying?

Hello guys. I am purchasing a 95 green firebird 3.4 liter with t tops that just turned 200,000 miles. The car has a very clean body and the interior looks brand new. The car is all original with no mods. A older gentlemen had it since new and claimed to have had the motor replaced a while back years ago before trading it in at the car lot where i am purchasing it however I can not prove that.. The car does have leaking valve cover gaskets, oil pressure sending unit and rear main seal leak. All are in the process of being repaired as I write this thread. The car appears to have been driven alot of highway miles. I say this because the car had a cb radio and antenna installled in it. The car runs very good and the tranny shifts smoothly. It has good brakes and newer tires. Everything in the car works and the head lights still pop up when turned on. I am paying 1900 dollars for the car and hoping to make it my next project car. I plan on doing some bolt on mods like exhaust and a cold air kit. I mainly want to take the car to local shows down the road and keep it mostly stock. I am not hot rodding it. My question is am i getting a good deal and what should i look out for mechanically with a firebird with this mileage? Thanks.

Re: New to the forum. Is the car im interested in worth buying?

If you ...
    really like birds at that age, and not too interested in power but in keeping it stock and shiny for local shows, and being ready for the unexpected (age) doing mechanic by yourself, go ahead. If you going to have a mechanic everytime the car get sick, you going to break your wallet.

Ah! something else, How's the body? It has to be in very good condition if you want to take it to the shows. Other way you will need to pay a lot of money in bodywork and paint.
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

$1900 seems much, talk em down a few hundred, because it's a 95, 3.4 L with 200k. In Houston I would realistically get maybe $3500 for my 99 with a 3.8, y87 package, full boltons, and 140k and a motor with 70k on it that i can prove.

I could probably find the right buyer and get more $$$, but my car has had tons of maintenance including the smallest things that most people avoid fixing until they have a serious problem. The paint is excellent (for a 99) with no fading, pealing or cracking, because the car has been washed properly and obsessively it's whole life. It turns heads consistently when coasting down the street with t-tops off on a sunny day. This is why I would never sell my car, because I can't get much money for it and I've spent a lot of money maintaining it.

So you should try to get it a bit cheaper. And "the man who swapped the motor right before he traded in his car" is a pretty common car salesman story which I would believe only if they could verify it.

Borispeed is right, get it if you want it to be a show car and don't care about power. Then don't daily drive it and get the body work and paint perfect. Make it look a bit unique (even if only in your area) and have fun cruising around :). But if this is gonna be a daily or a car you want to get easy power out of, look elsewhere.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually the body and paint is in excellent shape. It does need a little tlc but what i like is that it is all original. I tried to talk the salesman down some and he has negotiated with me some and is fixing the leaks so I am going to pick the car up tomorrow.

Comment

That's great. Post up some pix and start reading the forums to learn what others have done. Also this forum is a great resource for maintenance tips.
          sigpic

Comment

the days of the 3.4 i remember those. i loved my 94 maro, she was a good trooper. wasnt to happy with her when the tranny s*** the bed in the middle of the desert though...

Comment

cant you switch out intake manis (from sumtin else) on those cars and get a dec amount of power? i heard that from this kid i know but i never realy pay attention to him cause he usually talks out of his butt

Comment

Maybe... dunno much about the 3.4, but I doubt you'd see a huge difference.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwkmaro View Post
                  cant you switch out intake manis (from sumtin else) on those cars and get a dec amount of power? i heard that from this kid i know but i never realy pay attention to him cause he usually talks out of his butt
                  yes the 3x00 top end swap.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Thats WAAAAY too much! I sold my Camaro of the same year, no issues for $800... Only needed headliner, wax and a clutch bleed...
                    sigpic
                    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                      Thats WAAAAY too much! I sold my Camaro of the same year, no issues for $800... Only needed headliner, wax and a clutch bleed...
                      x2. I wouldn't pay over a grand for that car, even if the leaks are fixed. Early 3.4, high mileage, definitely not. You can find low mileage 3.8s for only a few thousand more. 3.8s with 100k+ go for like 3 or 4k. Why would you pay 2k for a 3.4 with 200k????
                      2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
                      2006 S60- Sold
                      2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Example

http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/1697529318.html

And that price is very negotiable
                        sigpic

Comment

Example

hmm can you drive it to me and fly home? how negotiable?

Comment

Example

Damn thats a good deal!.

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post
                              hmm can you drive it to me and fly home? how negotiable?
                              Dont think I could do that one LOL

Forget this thread?
                              http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...arkside&page=4

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                              Damn thats a good deal!.
                              Thanks! I think its an even deal (but I plan to go much lower). But compared to the other high mileage, teal\clear coat fading, beat to hell fbodies for sale around here (selling for the same price I might add); its a damn good deal LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 hours ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X