Tool Chest Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Chest Project

Well, with the pandemic going on and having to stay inside I have been doing 101 things that I never seem to have the time to do (and go figure I still don't have enough hours in a day).

Anyways, I finally started on the wooden tool chest that I have wanted to build since last year. This is as far as I got today, hopefully I'll be able to start the top tomorrow.

I need to wait for Amazon to deliver my hardware before I can get any of my drawers in, but I can start designing and making them now.

I am trying to "build it like furniture" but it is just plywood and milled down 2x4 into a nice uniform thick board. I then routered grooves so that everything slots together nicely. In retrospect I suppose I could have just but ended the plywood, drilled it and then put a decorative frame covering the screws after, but this let me learn some of my tools a little better.

wooden tool box project

wooden tool chest project

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Looking good.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Made some more progress on this. Forgot that I didn’t update this thread.

Tried my hand planing down some pine and glueing them up to make a table top and I am pretty pleased with the outcome. I plan on staining it a darker color when stores open back up:

Wooden tool chest out of pine

Comment

Wooden tool chest out of pineI am waiting on some figure 8 clips to come in that I ordered so I can fasten the top down and not have to worry about expansion and contraction cracking the wood.

In the meantime my drawer slides came in. I ordered 100lb ball bearing drawer slides. They aren’t too bad, I thought they would roll easier than they do, but they are still pretty smooth. They seem to get smoother with more weight added to them, but I guess I was expecting the same quality that I see in store bought tool chests. I would say the quality is 75-80% of the way there. I will double check to make sure my drawers are not binding ever so slightly. All in all they do work quite nice, I am just being anal.

I got most of my drawers built, just need some more nice weather to assemble the last 3.

Comment

Don’t mind the garage, it is currently a mess.

Once the last drawers are in I plan on making decorative front drawer faces out of solid wood and routering in a nice profile to them. I just need to wait for stores to open back up so I can hand pick some rough wood.

This whole project has been me learning a lot of new skills that were a result of me drafting this tool chest up on paper myself. I couldn’t find any kind of plans online.

I figured since it is social distancing time, on my time off I have no reason to rush and can take my time working through figuring out how to best use certain tools and techniques. It’s been a blast... Already if I had to do it over again there tons I could do to save time and energy, but it’s all part of learning!

Comment

Looking good.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Looks pretty cool so far! Don't forget a nice layer(s) of some kind of clear coat so you don't end up messing up the wood it with dirty hands/gloves.

Comment

Wood tool chest made of pinePine tool chest out of wood

Thanks- ya I will probably hit it with a urethane or a varnish. Need to read up on a few things.

here are a few more photos. Thinking of doing a redish wood insert into the sides to add a little contrast.

Some more hardware showed up yesterday too!

Comment

Looks great Mike.

Comment

How’s this coming along Mike? Any progress?

Comment

Pine tool chest stained jacobeanIt’s coming along great! I hope to Varnish it tomorrow.

Here are a few sneak peaks of where I am at...

Tool chest stained jacobean

Comment

Nice, that’s good.

Comment

This looks great! What are you doing to protect it? Did you use an indoor or outdoor stain on it?

Comment

I have hit it with one coat of Varnish so far. I'll likely hit it with 2-3 coats to get a nice hard surface to try and avoid getting some of the dings I'll likely get in it.

We'll see how well it stands up. I used an indoor stain with an outdoor Varnish...

Comment

Cool Mike, post some final pics when done.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X