Painting 2002 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting 2002 Camaro

I recently bought a 2002 V6 hard-top Camaro and in the process of having it repainted, the body shop ran into a problem with the paint bubbling around the perimeter of the roof. From googling and reading previous articles, this is a known GM issue with the 98-02 gen 4 cars with the only solution of replacing the roof panel. GM no longer makes this part, after market roof panels are hard to find and expensive.

Has anyone else found an alternative solution to this problem other than replacing the roof panel?
    Last edited by CamaroJoe; 03-13-2019, 07:13 PM. Reason: Issue Painting 2002 Camaro Roof Panel

Never heard of this, mines a 96' had it painted twice and never had a problem, will have it painted again next year. Thats weird its 98-02 models. Id try aftermarket if you plan on keeping it, good luck.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

There is no solution unfortunately other than replacing the roof panel. The glue/urethane that GM used bleads through and no matter how many times you refinish the panel and paint it, the bubbles will come back on the 98-02 panels.

Buying the panel new is crazy expensive- when I do mine I am going to do one of two things:
      • Go to the junkyard and get a 93-97 panel, have it painted if it isn’t in good shape and install it. I have heard of guys picking them up for 25-50$ from wreckers and possibly even less if you go to the yard on a pick apart day. You can use this link to find out which wreckers in your area might have the panel: http://car-part.com/mobile/index.htm just make sure it is 93-97 or you will have the same issue.
      • Do a T-top conversion

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks LETSZRIDE, new paint job looks good but paint on current roof panel won't last long.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	new camaro.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1573198

Comment

I meant paint the junkyard roof panel if it is scratched up or the wrong colour and install.

The 93-97 roof panels used a different glue/urethane from the factory that doesn’t bleed, so once it is on your car you should have no further issues

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Located a 1995 roof panel that I am having installed and re-painted Black to my 02 Camaro, this should resolve the paint bubbling issue. Will post pictures when completed.

Comment

Good deal, btw how much was your paint job? Im getting mine repainted next year.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Love your ride...

Having job done at Maaco, checked out several Maaco body shops in the area, this Maaco body shop got the best reviews. Original full price for new paint job with black roof was $2000 includes Base Coat / Clear Coat (remove all body parts, car prep, paint door jams, under hood, and under trunk). They tried painting the roof panel three times with no extra charge until we discovered the paint bubbling issue was due to GM defect. Couldn't find any used junk cars in my area, had to go with a guy from another body shop that had a 95 Camaro roof panel for sale. Maaco is charging $300 to install new roof panel - Total cost for paint change and new roof panel is more than I wanted to spend but will look great once all said and done.

The car body was in good shape but the original paint on the car was really bad, especially the hood and roof. The original color was Monterey Maroon, changed color to Sunset Orange with glossy black roof.

Comment

Thanks, thats not too bad, got mine painted from white to black about 10 years ago and it was $1800, they filled in the Camaro in the rear panel was alittle extra. Did the door jams and stuff and under the hood. Only thing I've noticed is they didn't use the right paint on the bumper and ground effects, its started to peel off because it wasn't flexible. It was a independently owned shop. Definitely post pics theres a Macco near me but Im going to get about 3 estimates before I decide.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to get another phone
                    by ssms5411
                    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Leaking front cover
                    by ssms5411
                    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • transamtom1
                    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                    by transamtom1
                    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X