3.8 swap parts needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 swap parts needed

Hey guys, we swapped a 96 3.8 Series II into our 94 3.4 and need a few parts to finish it up. It runs good and goes good but need a couple of things.

Intake (from air filter housing to MAF)
    PCM from a 96/97 3.8L/manual trans car
    MAF from a 96/97 3.8L/manual trans car (correct me if I'm wrong, how are the Auto MAF's different than Manual Trans MAF's??)

Originally posted by Wayoutthere007 View Post
    Hey guys, we swapped a 96 3.8 Series II into our 94 3.4 and need a few parts to finish it up. It runs good and goes good but need a couple of things.

Intake (from air filter housing to MAF)
    PCM from a 96/97 3.8L/manual trans car
    MAF from a 96/97 3.8L/manual trans car (correct me if I'm wrong, how are the Auto MAF's different than Manual Trans MAF's??)
    I assume 01 3800 parts wont work?

Sent from my Sprint LG G3 sexiness via tapatalk

Comment

Re: 3.8 swap parts needed

I don't know. It might. I think the 98-02 just had the revamped sheet metal on the front end.

I did find that what I'm calling the MAF - I really mean the throttle body. I noticed on eBay that they are specific to the transmission type (AT vs MT). Does anyone know what the difference is? The car is running better with the PCM from a manual car installed in it. No more high idle issues when it's warm. However, it still has a tendency to stall when pushing in the clutch to slow down. I'd be curious to know if that's due to the wrong throttle body as our 3.8L is from an automatic car.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayoutthere007 View Post
        I don't know. It might. I think the 98-02 just had the revamped sheet metal on the front end.

I did find that what I'm calling the MAF - I really mean the throttle body. I noticed on eBay that they are specific to the transmission type (AT vs MT). Does anyone know what the difference is? The car is running better with the PCM from a manual car installed in it. No more high idle issues when it's warm. However, it still has a tendency to stall when pushing in the clutch to slow down. I'd be curious to know if that's due to the wrong throttle body as our 3.8L is from an automatic car.
        The throttle linkage and bracket are different on the 96-97. This is a change for the late 95 which used the same throttle linkage (auto) on both. The manual operates the throttle differently, so that MAY be your issue.
        Last edited by FirebirdGT; 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Just to add the 97 PCM's with auto and manual have different tunes on them. Manaul has lower timing tables compared to auto's so I would make sure that you flashed the PCM with the correct auto or manual PCM tune. Maf's don't make a different mines a 96' what use to be a manual , now a auto with a 97' PCM. For my throttle cable I used the same bracket going from manual to auto just had to cut the bracket up some so it would work with the auto.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            The throttle linkage and bracket are different on the 96-97. This is a change for the late 95 which used the same throttle linkage (auto) on both. The manual operates the throttle differently, so that MAY be your issue.
            -

FYI - I'm referring to the throttle linkage on the side of the TB - it is different for a manual vs an auto. The cable for the manual is also longer due to the different linkage.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
              -

FYI - I'm referring to the throttle linkage on the side of the TB - it is different for a manual vs an auto. The cable for the manual is also longer due to the different linkage.
              This!
              The cable was too long and I had to re-crimp it shorter on the pedal side to take up the slack. Anyone have a MT TB for me?
              The MT PCM works good. No more high idle issues when in Closed Loop.
              Only issue now is the intermittent stalling when changing to a lower gear when slowing down - the idle will drop to zero. Most times it'll stay around 1k or so, but others it'll continue to drop to zero and you have to start the car mid-corner. Not good!

I did put in new plug wires (one was arcing to the intake!), new IAC and programmed it, and new EGR.
              Last edited by Wayoutthere007; 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM. Reason: new parts

Comment

I saw you post in the wanted section. I am parting out a 96 Camaro 3.8L with a MT. I have the PCM, the entire intake setup from the filter box to MAF and the MAF. The throttle body sold already though. Let me know if you might want anything.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  13 hours ago
                • ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X